2: 32 Seconds and a Cashier

The clouds were almost touching the mountains in Edda today, Magne's view was foggy as he walks up the mountain. In his bag, the hammer and his laptop. Each step the laptop was scratched a little by the hammer slightly bouncing against it. Finally arriving at the top, Magne carefully took out the laptop, which now had some brand new scratches, and laid the bag on the ground, hammer still inside. He sat down on a rock, opening the laptop, turning it on and opening Microsoft Word.

"Training with my hammer, day three", Magne said, the speech to text feature letting his exact words appearing on the word document. Thank modern technology. Then, Magne stood up again and placed the laptop on the rock. He went to his bag and took his hammer out before taking about ten steps back, then running about five steps forward and throwing the hammer as far as he could over the mountains. He then went back to his laptop, opening a timer app. He pressed the start button and then held his hand up in the air to 'summon' his hammer back. Thirty seconds passed until the hammer swung back into the blonds hand. Quickly pressing the stop button on the timer, he laid the hammer on the ground, sat down on the stone and opened the word document.
"Exactly thirtytwo seconds until my hammer was back in my hands", he said, the text being right under the documents title now.

Three days ago, Magne started training like this. Throw hammer, measure time for it to fly back, repeat. Once he was finished (usually after around ten or fifteen tries), he went into the direction he threw the hammer. Thanks to the heavy pressure of the hammer after being thrown like that, it created a mark on the ground everytime. Magne would then use Google Maps to see how far he threw it. This was how he kept record of his strength. He didn't set a goal, but he always told himself he needed to get stronger.

Meanwhile, his brother was in one of the only clothing shops in Edda. He'd wish it was a hot topic, but it was just a simple, brandless shop. Laurits didn't really want to go there, firstly because the shop was boring, secondly because Turid told him to. 

He chose some black pants, since he's actually grown a bit ever since coming to the realisation of being a giant, and a grey hoodie with a red skull on it. A few weeks back he'd call his amazing, but by now it's just a 'better than the other stuff here'.
Laurits then went over to the cashier who seemed to be a new worker at the place.
"You new here?" Laurits asked the cashier.

A tall man with dark brown hair, almost greenish eyes, slight eyeliner and black lipstick looked at Laurits and smiled awkwardly.  "First day", he replied, shortly nodding.

"At work or Edda?" Laurits asked out of curiosity and honestly, the man was quite attractive too.

"First day at work, first week in Edda", he replied. The entire shop was empty except for Laurits and the cashier, so there was time to talk. Well, no one really goes into that shop anyway most of the time. Those two other shops with slightly more expensive stuff was usually full with customers.

"Cool cool", Laurits said and nodded slowly, smiling at the cashier. "Do you have a name or should I call you 'mysterious new cashier'?"

"Nyrtan, may I know your name, too?" Nyrtan said with a slight smile on his lips.

"Laurits", he responded. "Soo.. why did you move in this shithole?" He asked. Pretty straight forward and blunt...but it was the truth. Especially after the scandal about Jutul industries, no one would usually want to move there.

"Well-" Nyrtan said, chuckling nervously. "It's kind of a..stupid reason", he explained.

"Tell me", Laurits responded in a curious tone.

"Well- I lived in Sweden, but one day something in my head just told me to move here. This exact city, start working at this exact shop." Nyrtan said.

"That's interesting, even after the.. pollution here?" Laurits asked, leaning against the counter.

"The pollution here and the scandal with Jutul industries made me reconsider this choice but...I felt like I had to do this. And here I am now." The cashier said, once again letting out an awkward chuckle. The mentioned of Jutul industries shortly made Laurits look down in slight frustration. Who would not, after all that had occurred. He still didn't know which side he was on, actually, it was more as if he didn't want to choose sides.

"Maybe it's fate then", Laurits said after like ten seconds of uncomfortable silence.

"Hm?" Nyrtan asked, ever so slightly tilting his head to the side as if to show a question mark.

"That we met here, I mean..if you had that feeling of having to work here, maybe it's fate", Laurits said, doing that infamous smile/grin he does so often.

"Maybe it is", Nyrtan replied.

"..By the way, how old are you?" Laurits asked, random question, but if he would be about to have another crush, he might as well know if it's legal.

"Just turned 17 this year, I'm also a new senior at the highschool here", Nyrtan said. Fuck yes, it's legal. "How about you?"

"Well uh.. I'm also a senior at our school here and I'm 16. Skipped two grades, you see? We just finished our final presentations though, won't it be stressful if you need to prepare for your exams and make a presentation at the same time?" Laurits said.

"Probably- I'm a little nervous about that actually, but I'll just see how it goes", Nyrtan replied.

A customer walked inside the clothing store. "Alright, I think I'll have to go for now. Can you ring me up?" Laurits asks, placing the clothes he wanted to buy on the counter.

"Of course", Nyrtan said with a smile, beeping the clothes like you do as a cashier.

"Consider giving me a discount?" Laurits hums with a soft grin, once again leaning against the counter.

"I can't-" Nyrtan said "Sorry."

"Not just once? For me?" Laurits said and grinned a little more.

"Okay fine- but don't tell my manager", Nyrtan says, putting a discount in the cash register machine thing. The display now said 30 Kroner instead of 39 Kroner.

"Thanks", Laurits said warmly with a smile now replacing a grin. "I'll see you in school", he said.

"I suppose so, see you", Nyrtan said and nodded as he put the clothes in a bag and gave it to Laurits.

Laurits then walked home, seemingly excited about having met someone during a supposedly boring shopping tour.

// WORD COUNT: 1134//