Chapter 2: The Dark Knight

Wilmerein, Kingdom of Leory

The wizards and mercenaries intent on applying to help in the fight against the demon swarm arrived at the palace following the merchants. And where the merchants gathered in the courtyard, those hoping to fight gathered in the palace hall. There were mercenaries, knights, and priests from the capital itself and many others from nearby cities.

The hall had never been so full before. If circumstances had been different, the hustle and bustle of the crowd could easily have been mistaken for a party.

Vincencio was hard at work, rushing to each new soldier.

"Thank you for coming to aid Wilmerein," he said. "Thank you for taking up arms and fighting with us. The Kingdom of Leory will be forever in your debt."

Some of them responded in kind. "We'll do anything for the kingdom!"

One said, "This is my home, too. I've never fought more than a bandit before, so I don't know how much use I'll be. But I want to help protect my land all the same."

"Everyone here will be of use," Vincencio told him. "The more hands we have, the stronger our army becomes."

Others simply scoffed at him.

They hadn't come here out of loyalty, but in hopes of getting famous.

One told him, "I want the whole kingdom to know my name by the time this is done! Everyone will know of the brave feats I perform today!"

A few young knights trembled when Vincencio approached them, having never been in an actual battle before.

"I'll watch out for you," Vincencio said to these young ones.

"I remember my first time in a fight. It was scary—but exciting, too! You will do fine, I'm certain. I can tell that you're very brave!"

And then he would move on, talking to someone or another.

Loretta and the Supreme Priest of Wilmerein stood at the front of the hall. They knew that another demon attack would be coming soon, and they had to be prepared. Sir Christiano brought each applicant to the front of the hall to meet Loretta and Bishop Renaud.

Sir Christiano brought in a tall man of a thin yet sturdy stature; his armor, unlike that of the other knights present, was nothing more than black leather, as if he weren't afraid of swords or arrows. He wore a tunic that stretched close to his knees. His hood, also dark, concealed his eyes and face almost entirely.

This man and his armor looked were nothing Loretta had seen before. His shaggy brown hair that covered his forehead along with his cold, dark, chestnut eyes showed pure handsomeness; a highly attractive man. Loretta was stunned by his captivating appearance.

"Your Highness." Christiano gestured to the man. "This is the Dark Knight, a mage from mainland Aiberia."

"Tremish!" Bishop Renaud exclaimed. His face lit up at the sight. "Where have you been? It's been such a long time since I last saw you! And now here you are, come to take up this job? I've never been so surprised!"

"I'll take care of those monsters, don't worry," Tremish said, his eyes hard and sharp. The kind of eyes that had seen too much over too little time.

The bishop rubbed his hands together, clearly happy with this turn of events.

"Your Highness, this is the Dark Knight, Tremish, a mage and mercenary famous in mainland Aiberia."

Loretta was startled into awareness by that comment. "What? A mage? Really? But we are in great need of mages! There are hardly any practicing in this country."