Chapter 16

Chapter16

“A lady knows how to play a game”

The no. 18 Rule of a Lady

I wanted to talk to Mango. As much as I hated to say it, I needed her. I felt horrible about my new plan; it was selfish, childish and completely irrational but I was still going through with it. I didn't know why but I felt like I was always in control of my life; like I never actually let go. When I read books and watched chick flicks, I always thought that the characters were stupid and wondered why they would do such dumb things but I realised that I actually wanted to do the dumb and stupid things myself. I wanted to get jealous and do completely irrational things that I would probably regret later. And right now, I needed my best friend to tell me how stupid I was being but help me anyways.

I remember Mango's first date. She was nervous and she had said she wished I could come on her date with her but that she didn't literally want me there. So we'd made this outrageous plan that I would act like a spy and stalk her on her date. It had been fun and hilarious when I kept getting caught.

Mango and I had done so many random things that now seemed extremely stupid and outrageous but were amazing fun at the moment. There wasn't a thing I could now look at and not be reminded of her. Even if the fight was small, it already felt like I was losing my best friend. I frowned at the sad thought and shook myself. Mango loves me as much as I love her; I bet she's thinking the same thing right now and by tomorrow we'll be laughing at this.

People underestimate how much we girls need best friends; I think every girl needs a best friend more than a boyfriend. If you have a best friend you can get through anything. Losing Mango is one of my greatest fears and I hope I never have to experience that fear.

"Sam" Jake nodded at me and walked on. I was in homeroom; sitting at the desk that was right next to the door. I looked at Jake and nodded back. Operation 'NOT JEALOUS' commences now, I thought dramatically.

We had decided to not fully begin the operation until second period or it might be weird. The nod just symbolised that we both remembered the plan and were still going through with it. I took a deep breath and thought real hard about every chick flick I had ever seen or read and tried to make a collection of my knowledge.

*

"Hey Sam," Jake said; walking over with a huge smile on his face. I wanted to kill myself; this was going to fail horribly and I was just going to make a fool of myself. What was I thinking?

"Hey Jakey!" Jake looked to be surprised by the nickname but didn't protest as I held out my hand. "I don't get what we're supposed to do. Can you help me?" His eyes widened.

"Errrr, it's really not that hard. Come on, I'll show you." We turned around and started to work but not before Jake whispered: "I don't know what to do either! Ask something else!" I wanted to smack him. Couldn't he have paid attention? Gosh.

"I think we're supposed to just answer questions one to ten but I'm not sure?" I stated my answer like a question so that I was still in context with our plan.

"Oh yeah! Yes, that's what we're supposed to do." He leaned in a bit. "But do you really want to work?" I giggled like this was the funniest thing in the world and smacked his arm playfully. I probably looked high and stupid. Oh well, can't back out now.

"Shut up, we have to work," This time I leaned in. "Or, at least, pretend to." I gave him the flirtiest smile I could. In my head, I looked like a girl with smiling issues.

We continued to work like this throughout the whole period. At one point I noticed Masé looking at us but I decided to ignore him, for now. I felt bad when I had seen his face; I didn't want to go through with this plan anymore. It was silly and stupid but I still kind of felt like going through with it, because I think silently I was rejoicing the fact that he can’t be sad if he’s not jealous and if he’s jealous he loved me (sad I know, I’m such a girl). I frowned.