01| Crying Babies and Ancient Rivalries

song: good thing by zedd, kehlani

are you a first-time reader or rereader? comment on when you started this book!

- ada

SILENCE

SILENCE.

Sweet silence filled the small apartment Pariza Smith shared with her best friends, causing a peaceful environment. The low buzz of the cars filled the streets of New York City as the birds chirped and the air smelt of the deliciousness that was the nearby bakeries.

It was 5 am, but as Pariza just lay in bed, soaking in the beautiful sunshine and working up the strength to actually get up, she could feel that today was going to be a good day.

Then, it began.

Oh, God.

The shrill cry of the devil next door, its tiny lungs shrieking as loud as a thunderstorm. Pariza had no idea what the flying hell it wanted and most certainly did not care. All she could do was smash her pillow in her ears as she groaned, cursing the small devil for ruining her peace.

Then, came the yells of the hungover father telling his timid wife to "shut the banshee's pie hole".

Creative, Pariza thought. Yesterday, it was for the baby to "shut the flying fck up". Pariza's mind ran through all the curses for the morning, the shrieks of the child becoming background noise.

Three. Two. One.

If the baby crying was not enough, the neighbours on Pariza's right decided to add to the beautiful melodies as their enthusiastic ten-year-old daughter began her daily 5 am piano lessons. Loudly.

The banging of the keys was accompanied by the excited encouragement of her snobby parents who cheered;

"Go on, Babi, play louder. Louder. Let your talents reach to the heavens,"

More like let it go to hell.

Pariza cleared her throat as a fake smile came upon her face. She looked up to the heavens as she pressed her hands together, "Dear Lord, I come to you today with my daily curses. Curse one, the parents of that despicable baby next door, who decided that what their already-broken marriage needed was another child. As if the first one who does drugs at 16 was the perfect angel."