✩ Eight Tug of War

Eight Tug of War

A causal breeze swept through the forest. The trees shuddered as the drops of dew dripped from their glistening leaves. In a distance, the foreboding mountains glowed a serene yellow. The sun had risen in the sky. Birds with wispy black feathers whistled a calming tune.

I breathed in the fresh smell of the forest. Devlin sat beside me, on the wooden steps outside the cabin. There was a mug of coffee in his hands.

I could feel his gaze on me and the warmth of his leg against mine.

"Stop staring," My cheeks were hot with heat.

He smiled at me, his lip curling upwards as a dimple appeared on his left cheek. "I can't help it. You're just so damn beautiful."

"Stop it." Lies. Lies. I hate it when people flatter you for no reason.

"What?" He furrowed his eyebrows together.

"I'm not that beautiful."

He closed his eyes and leaned back, setting the empty of mug next to steps.

"When I got my first girlfriend, my mother told me one thing. She said Devlin, don't fall in love with the body, fall in love with the soul behind those eyes. And you know what I said to her," He opened his eyes and grinned at me. "Ma, you read too many romance novels,"

I laughed, nestling my chin in the web of my arms.

His fingers lingered down the side of my face and tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. "One day, we'll grow old and all this beauty that they talk about will fade but the thing that we will stay with us is who we are and Alice Brown, I love everything you are."

All doubts, all words melted on my tongue. I got up my knee and wrapped my arms around Devlin. He held me tightly, his arms around my waist. I rested my head against his chest. "And Devlin Hutchins, I am deeply, madly in love with every aspect of you"

✩✩✩✩

"When do your classes start?" Devlin stole a sideway glance as he steered the Porsche down the long, winding highway.

It was nine in the morning right now. I had spent an entire day and one night with him. Time seemed to fly when I was with him. "At seven-thirty p.m. Why?"

He gave me a sheepish look. "I forgot my baggage in Nepal so I thought we could go for shopping."

"You're such a goofball. I mean who forgets their luggage in another country,"

"I had a-lot on my mind."

I bit back on the rude remarks. It was true, he did have a-lot on his mind.

"Sure, we can go but I have one condition."

"What? It's my birthday. I think I need some birthday perks."

"Do want me to come or not?"

"Fine," He huffed. "What is it?"

"I want to take you out for a date tomorrow." It was Saturday and the perfect day to begin my plan.

He rose an eyebrow. "Shouldn't it be the other way around?"

"No, I like it this way. So will you go with me?"

"The question is where do you want to take me."

"It's a secret."

"But I don't like surprises."

"Stop whining, you buffoon." I smacked his arm. "I don't complain when you randomly take me out to places."

He released a sigh. "Okay, miss. I'm your slave for tomorrow. All puns intended."