Chapter 8: Not Staying Long

The "barracks", as Caprinvur had called it, appeared to be an endless labyrinth of corridors. Everything was out of a simple light grey stone; however, this only furthered an effect where the brightly colored window glasses tinted everything in an unreal seeming light.
While still standing at the entrance of the building Feamir already doubted her ability to remember her way in here.
Luckily her "guide" had already considered that matter: "Well, I thought it may be easier for you to just take the first room to the left for now. When you are more comfortable with the layout and general fæ architecture, you can choose every room you like of cause."
Even though she did not know what he meant with "general fæ architecture", she actually appreciated his concern.

When Caprinvur opened the door to her future room, he gestured for her do go inside first and followed her in afterwards. His obvious smile was a sign of how proud he was about this room.
It was a decently seized room, small compared to Feamir's room in her father's mansion, but probably bigger than some commoner's houses. There were some trunks, a big closet, one thing that could be a weapon and another that could be an armor stand. On one side was even a big grass mirror. The floor was wooden, which gave the whole room a warmer feeling although it was still very bare.
However, the room missed a typical bed. Instead, where it seemed as it was supposed to be, was a thick and fluff looking carpet with an enormous number of pillows littered on it.

"Hal helped surprisingly when designing this room.", explained the goat man, "He suggested that that sleeping arrangement you see here is more comfortable with a Centaur-like physique. Though he may be grumpy, he actually is a very caring person... somehow..."
Having met this Hal twice by now, Feamir was not yet ready to believe that statement. Why did it seem like Caprinvur, and according to him Hal as well, think that she is going to stay here for a while longer anyway? She wanted to talk to the duke, get her body back, that joke was not funny, and then her goal was still to visit her grandparents.

"Eh... Caprinvur... this room seems very nice... but I still do not plan to stay here longer than necessary...", she needed to make that clear. She did not even want to take a further step into the room as to not become attached in the slightest.

"Of course, you are saying that... But who knows...", because he was mumbling to himself Feamir was not able to completely understand what Caprin was saying. However, before she had time to ask him, he added: "Prior to formally visiting his grace, the Silver Duke Tirgernán, you should dress yourself up at least a little bit. At least entangle your hair, my dear... Brushes are on the table by the mirror. I am waiting outside."

Was her condition that bad? To be honest she just woke up in the middle of the forest after getting drunk at a party... she could not argue with the goat man... At least when meeting with human nobility there were an enormous amount of things to prepare.

Somewhat less disgruntled Feamir trotted to the mirror, she figured that this would be the first time looking at herself with the deer body. And the look in the mirror shocked her. Putting her general look aside, staring at her back from the mirror was a completely different person. Would her reflection not have done what she did, she would have thought that she stood in front of a stranger. Until now Feamir had thought that her body just got changed with the body, but now it looked she was in a completely different one.

The most obvious "feature" was of course the deer body, but she already new about that. But even the more "human"-looking part was peculiar. In contrast to her originally black her, now it was whiter than a sheet of paper with some small streaks of silver in it that glimmered in the light. They were looking especially entangled because they chaotically wrapped around the pair of antlers that grew on her head. How were there antlers!?

However, the biggest shock for Feamir herself was the changed face. It had nothing in common with her own! Her eyes should be blue, but the ones that looked back hat her were green. But that was only one of the more obvious of the changes. In short: her facial features were just not hers.

Feamirs hands were shaking. She needed to talk to this Duke Tirgernán and let him explain this! After that she needed to get her own body back! What happened to that anyway? Was the original owner of this body now in hers?!

Gritting her teeth, she griped the brush that was simply places as Caprinvur explained. Feamir was never a person who put much effort into styling herself up herself. If her father needed her to be maids would have done all the work, if he did not, however, no one would have cared. In addition, the antlers were not really helping. After a few minutes she finally seemed at least presentable.

"I am ready.", she said when getting out of the room, meeting with the goat man again.
"My dear! You look already so much better.", did he try to compliment her. However, it fell very short in front of the fact that he was not actually complimenting Feamir.

Sensing her displeasure Caprinvur was starting to get more serious again. "Well then... the duke should be already expecting us. Follow me!"

While walking back to the entrance with Feamir, the satyr continued to explain some things: "In the realm of fæ things may suddenly change without reason. You need to get a feeling for finding your way." He did not seem to notice the disinterest of his companion that did not think to ever need this information as she still did not want to stay in this "domain". "But luckily for you, little Feamir, his grace is not prone to change fundamental things without reason... at least he does it somewhat rarely... Still: don't trust your mortal sense of direction too much here."

Liketo prove his point it seemed like Caprinvur was not paying attention to wherethe two were walking. Somehow, they still managed to suddenly stand in front ofthe castle. Even Feamir who actively tried to look where the goat was guidingher, was confused. This did not make any sense.
"And then again, you are always ending up where his grace wants you too.",finished Caprinvur his explanation with a big smile on his face upon seeingthat his little demonstration had the intended effect on her. Behind himstarted the castle gates to open as if they had only waited for the two's arrival.