Chapter 6 : Apartment-share

The next trainings were different. The other team was still training with them, which was pissing Max's team off, but Jane wasn't here anymore. Max shouldn't feel like that, but she was worried. She was wondering if her father hadn't killed her and buried her body in their garden. She hoped not. Even if she wasn't really liking Jane, she wasn't wishing her death either.

The training was ending, and all the girls went to the locker room, the two teams still in the same room. While she was changing, Max thought she could ask Jane's friends if they had news. But she was scared of their reactions, they all were giving her death glares since the kiss. Jane probably told them what happened. Too bad! Max was too stubborn to change her mind anyway. She took a deep breath and approached them.

- "Um, hey," she clumsily said.

The girls stopped what they were doing to judge Max a little bit.

- "What do you want!?" one of them snapped.

- "I was wondering if Jane was okay."

- "Because you care!? After what you did to her!?"

- "I..."

- "Yeah, that's what I thought! You can't beat someone's ass and wonder how they are after that!"

Max frowned, completely dazed. Apparently, Jane invented a story to tell her friends. She didn't insist and went back to her friends. Maybe no one was knowing about Jane's sexuality. Bev looked at her with a questioning look. Max ignored her. She didn't want to justify herself.

Once ready, Max and Beverly separated, Bev having an appointment, and Max going to the pizzeria to order pizzas for their dinner. She arrived at the counter and asked for their usual pizzas. While she was waiting for her meal, she looked around. She noticed someone asleep a little bit farther. When she looked closely, she recognized the jacket. Without thinking, she went to this person and shook her. Jane started and looked around before seeing the redhead in front of her. She angrily frowned at her.

- "Um, hey," Max said.

- "Hey!? That's all you have to say!?"

- "I...I was wondering if you were okay..."

- "Okay!? Do I look okay!?"

- "I...I don't know...Why do you have those bags?"

- "I'm sure you can guess," Jane sharply answered.

The redhead quickly understood Jane's situation and couldn't feel worse. She didn't want to imagine what Jane was living right now. She must feel betrayed right now, by her own parents. Jane stood, took her bags, and was about to leave, but Max stopped her by grabbing her arm. She couldn't let her go like that. Not without trying.

- "Do you have a place to stay?"

- "Why do you fucking care!?"

- "Just answer!"

- "I'll find a place."

- "Did you...sleep outside last night?"

- "...Maybe."

Max felt a pinch in her heart. Even if it wasn't freezing, it was still hard to sleep outside, especially if she fought with her parents.

- "My...my cousin is not in town currently," Max said.

- "Good for you."

- "Her room is free, if you need a place to stay."

- "You're generous or just feeling guilty!?"

- "...Probably both. But I know it's my fault if you're here now. Let me help you, please."

She could see in Jane's eyes that she was deeply thinking about it. Max didn't want to release her grip around the brunette, not wanting her to run away.