The Plan, The Masquerade, and The Confessions

Once again, I paced the length of my apartment, but instead of feeling the crushing and unbearable pain of the unknown, I was too excited to contain my glee. I plopped down on the couch and called Alex as soon as I could catch my breath.

"Alex! Alex! I know what to do."

"What? Slow down, Kar. What are you talking about?"

"Lena. I know what to do with Lena."

Joy coursed through me like electricity. I stood up and headed to the kitchen, knowing I was too overwhelmed to eat. I opened the refrigerator, searching for something I knew I would never find.

"I don't want to hear about what you're going to 'do' with Lena," Alex said with an ill-timed laugh.

"Alex, please."

I picked up an orange and wondered why it wasn't potstickers. I scrunched my nose, replaced it on the shelf and exhaled sharply.

"Okay, Kar. Calm down. Tell me what you're going to do."

I shut the refrigerator and leaned my back against the door, grinning so much my face hurt.

"Well, I did something bad."

"What did you do?"

"I went to L-Corp."

"How is that bad?"

"Lena and Sam were talking in her office, and I kind of listened in. In all fairness, they were talking about me and her door was wide open."

"Really? Sam's back in town?"

There it was. Alex's unresolved feelings for Sam bubbling up to the surface again. I knew I needed to help her deal with her feelings, but not today.

"Alex, focus."

"Okay. Go ahead."

"I think she loves me, Alex. I don't know for sure. It's not like she said it to me, but her words were beautiful. She was so sweet."

I leaned against the counter and stared out the window of my apartment, imagining how her lips would taste.

"What did she say?"

"She's been feeling the weirdness between us. She thinks it's her fault."

"Okay. Did you talk to her?"

"I ran away before they could discover me."

"Kar."

I dropped my head in shame and walked back to the couch. I laid face down, talking mostly into the couch cushion.

"I know. It's just I think I know a way I can do something for her and finally tell her how I feel."

"What's the plan?"

I sat up and kicked my feet nervously. My body was an explosion of anxious energy.

"I'm going to a dance."

"Huh?"

"The National City Fine Arts Museum Charity Masquerade Ball. I think that's the name. I just need to find an invitation."

"What? Jesus, that's a ridiculous name. Wait. Why does that sound familiar?"

"Lena wants to ask me. I mean, I think she wants to ask me, but it doesn't sound like she's feeling brave enough to ask. She told Sam she wanted me to go. What if I surprised her?"

"That's sweet, but wouldn't she wonder how you found out about the event?"

"I don't care. I'll admit everything. I just want to surprise her. I want to make her smile and dance with her until our bodies become one."