⌧︎Chapter one⌧︎

I awake, feeling a surge of fear and anxiety wrack my spine. Moonlight peering through gaps in the window blinds adds to the atmosphere of the cold and drafty apartment. Another Nightmare, My mind is still racing despite recollecting myself with small quotes. Clutching my chest I lean against the headboard of the rather small bed.

This time it wasn't very different from others. This time it was a hospital. I was out of the bed- the area where my head would've been laying was smothered in dark, cherry-colored blood.

  My head was bandaged thoroughly. Only allowing me to see out of one. Like my other Nightmares; I was reliving a past I wanted to forget. My Nightmares were often vivid and more memorable(Not in a good way) than my dreams.

  I was standing there, though almost on cue to me taking a first step, a phone rang. Looking around the room with my eye- I see a green phone sitting on a small desk. It's not one of those flip phones or something, just a small rotary dial one.

  Walking up to the still ringing device, I lift the curved handle up to my face. At least I still have ears. "It's Okay, Sal... Everything is going to be okay now... come and see..." a voice whispers through the phone. "Who are you?" But before I get a response, the other line hangs up.

  "Weird sounded like Dad," I murmured, looking for a way out. There's a door, but upon attempting to turn the silver handle, it doesn't move. 1. Either it's broken 2. It's locked and I need a key. I would gaze around the room. It wasn't very 'Family friendly' for a hospital.

  It was quite eerie in all honesty. But then I catch a glimpse of a glimmer of a small bronze key. It sits beneath a dresser- the flickering, yellow light of the hospital reflects off of it. I go to pick it up as I hear another voice. I'm not typically paranoid about hearing things, but those had me horrified as usual. 'She's gone and it's all your fault, Sal.' It almost sounds like Dad again.

  I paused, before shaking away the feeling and picking up the key. Kneeling down, I realize I'm about 3'4 or something- however tall I was when the incident happened. Anyways, I test the key on the door, and soon with enough wriggling, there's a click sound and the door creaks open slowly. Walking out, I'm greeted with what normally happens in the Nightmares.

  Funeral, Dog, Mom, Dad- Yep just the usual.

  Returning to my thoughts, I look around the room. It's raining just hard as it was at the funeral. Perfect. Doesn't unease me at all, I thought to myself. The rain had been falling for barely a minute and it was already pretty heavy. How was the Moon out then? If it had just begun- oh well. It doesn't matter.

  I sat and looked over at the small, wooden side table. My prosthetic sat there, as usual reminding me of the burden of my scars and Mom's death as usual. Sometimes I wished dad would get over my face scars. 

  I flip the weighted blanket off of me, surprisingly well, and swing my feet out of the bed. In the dim light, the yellowed wall clock reads 5:32. Again? Can't believe this has become my sleep schedule. 

  I sit up and push myself from the warm bed. Picking up the pocket-sized flip phone, I see already have three messages from Larry, my Best friend. He lives just down in the basement with his Mom.