FIVE

5:❝ THE WINTER SOLDIER ❞read authors note at the end

read authors note at the end

GIFT STORES WERE A FUGITIVES BEST friend. Meredith couldn't believe Steve and her were running away from S.H.I.E.L.D. That was her home, it was where Nick raised her to be who she was and now she was on the run from it. They quickly picked up some comfy clothes and changed into them over their suits. Meredith settled for a big sweater with Harvard written across from it and some red sweatpants. She stuck with some basic tennis shoes and they walked to the elevator in the hospital.

As they were going up her and Steve held hands. He knew she was scared and was going to protect her no matter what. As they approached the vending machine they realized the USB was gone. Meredith gasped lightly as her and Steve looked into the reflection and saw Natasha blowing gum. They turned around and looked at her as they made eye contact with each other. Steve looked both ways before Meredith and Steve grabbed both arms and backed her into a room. They opened the door and slammed her against the wall. "Where is it?"

"Safe." Meredith rolled her eyes. "Where the hell is it Nat?" Natasha narrowed her eyes at them. "Where do you get it?" Steve looked very on edge. "Why would I tell you?" It was like a lightbulb went off as she glanced over to Meredith. "Fury gave it to you. Why?" Meredith sighed this is why she knew Nick should have never gave Steve and her this USB. They suck at lying. "What's on it?"

"I don't know."

"Stop lying." He was gripping her harder and leaning more into her. "I only act like I know everything, Rogers." They heard noise as Meredith waited by the door just to check it out. "I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?" Natasha quirked a brow up, "Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." Steve gripped her harder once again and more in her face. "I'm not gonna ask you again." Her eyes looked wide as Meredith stepped in and made him let go of her. "I know who killed Fury. Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists. The ones that do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

'Well this just got more crazier,' Meredith thought. She sighed this was definitely a mystery. "So he's a ghost story." Great thats exactly what they need to track a ghost. "Five years ago, I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran. Somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out. But the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer so he shot him straight through me." Meredith glanced at the scar on her body. She winced as she hated the feeling of being shot. It was horrifying. "Soviet slug. No rifling. Bye-bye, bikinis."