PART 11 - ESBAT - INITIATION

The rafters echo with Dahlia's humming. She tiptoes out of the kitchen, barefoot and bottomless. I'm naked but comfortably hidden under a woven blanket on the couch.

"People are starting to arrive," she says as she hands me an oversized mug of black coffee. "Oh, and I found a flannel shirt for you to wear."

My brain is still waking up as I pull it on. Outside are a pair of unfamiliar voices discussing where to set their tent. Another voice is backing up an idling car while another calls, "Come and have a look at this garden."

Running footsteps and childish giggles fly past the nearest window as Dahlia flops down by my side. She tucks into me and shuts her eyes. God only knows how the two of us are going to get through this day.

"You OK?" I ask.

"Tired. This is my second cup. The first did nothing," Dahlia says as hopelessly as she looks. "Come on, let's see what the guests are up to."

She disappears through the back door, where a voice greets her excitedly.

"Heya, long time no see."

I pull on my jeans, throw back the coffee, choke on the last gulp and sputter for a moment. I head for the kitchen then push through the side door. The day is blindingly bright, cloudless and warm.

Dahlia has vanished. I circle the building and come across Arlo loading a cart with firewood. I offer a hand, and he accepts. We wheel the two barrows up to the Deep Forest Altar and unstack them in the centre to form the base of a bonfire. We do another two more runs before Arlo dismisses my services.

More guests arrive and stretch as they inspect their chosen campsites. They pop their trunks and let bundles of camping equipment come tumbling out with the odd dog thrown in for good measure. I watch for a while before taking off to find Dahlia.

There's a festive buzz in the air. The people are here to be merry and give thanks. And their enthusiasm is infectious. It unifies them, turning their collective energies into one. I smile with pride, knowing I'll join them soon.

In front of the temple, a van is being unloaded. It's full of musical equipment, chunky amps and tall speakers. A small band set up in front of the temple, with a young man lacing the stereo together with a web of black cables.

I weave my way through and finally spot Dahlia. She's up on the crest of the northern hill sharing a tyre swing with a young girl. Dahlia giggles as the child whispers in her ear. I lean up against a tree and watch from a distance. Eventually, the girl's mother calls for her, and the two part ways. Dahlia spots me and wanders over.

"That was a bit cute," I say, jiving her with a finger.

"I remember her from last year. We practised some spells after everyone had gone to bed. She'll grow into a fantastic witch."

A tear rolls down her cheek. I'd quite literally give everything I have to know what she was thinking at that exact moment. I focus using my third eye, but all that's there is a dark cloud.

"Come on. I'm starting to feel funny in the head," she says.

"Funny?"

"Emotional. I shouldn't be welling up like that. I think I missed a pill this morning."

"As in medication? What for?"

But before she can answer, we run into Arlo in the kitchen.

"How's everything?" she asks.

"Under control. The bonfires ready at the Altar. Thank you, Levi, for your help. The band has started. The tables of food are next, and the ice buckets are full."