PART 26 - DAHLIA

I can't see anything, but I know I'm conscious and on the ground. I'm curled in the foetal position and have been born again. My skin is warm, and my muscles relaxed with no pain from the bullet holes or the ten-storey fall. I unwind myself and rub my eyes.

The air feels hot and quickly becomes uncomfortable. Each breath is warmer than the last until my throat burns with pain. I stand and panic as I spin around, then back, but there's nothing but darkness and more of it.

Then there's a growl, deep and throaty. It's the Dark Spirit. I've got to get out of here and fast. I jog away from the direction of the noise but instantly smash my head into something hard and drop in pain. He growls louder. I let out a weird noise, which is answered by a bellowing roar.

"Levi," it rumbles.

Footsteps are coming for me. I get up and creep along with my hands out. Then as I round a corner, a faint glow comes from my left.

I drop my hands and run as there's enough light now to dodge any obstructions. As I sprint along, the temperature falls, and the sky comes into view at the end of the tunnel. Outside is nothing but brilliant blue and a sheer drop. The scale dawns on me as I get close to the edge and look down a mile to where the ground takes up again.

This ledge is no more than three foot deep and a dozen across. There's nowhere to go. I'm fucked, and it's only a matter of time until the beast catches up and has his way. Tears brew as I consider the hopeless situation.

"Levi," comes a familiar voice from my side.

I turn to it, but the shine is blinding. Through squinted eyes, I see a woman in a white robe. As they adjust, I realise who it is and run to her. We meet with an embrace so wonderfully familiar I can't control myself, and I melt with tears.

"Dahlia."

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY FIRST NOVEL DAHLIA - THE VELVET WITCH AND HER DARK SPIRIT. IT WAS AN ABSOLUTE PLEASURE SHARING IT WITH YOU AND I'M CURRENTLY WORKING ON THE PREQUEL WHICH SHOULD BE OUT SOON.

BIG LOVE, DAVID MINUTILLO