3.8 - Rainy Tracks & Injuries

It was race day and Charles and I would finally be able to sleep in since it was a night race and we didn't have to be there until later in the day. After we both woke up, Charles had a meeting while I stayed in the hotel room doing some work on my laptop that I needed to attend to once I arrived back home.

He came back mid afternoon and we went out to late lunch. When it was turning night, we went back to the hotel room to got changed for the race. Like always, we were running behind so we both showered quickly and got ready, I did a quick simple natural makeup and dried off my hair. Charles was on the phone with his trainer that he was supposed to meet in a couple of minutes at the track.

oliviaastor

story posted

story posted

Charles and I rushed to the car and with night traffic we barely made it on time. Since we were in a rush, Charles had to sprint to the garage.

"I love you" Charles called out. "I'll see you later"

"I love you too" I managed to say before he sprinted away. I looked for Liza who was obviously accompanied by Lando.

"You're late" Liza laughed.

"Charles doesn't know the concept of being on time apparently" I rolled my eyes.

The sky seemed cloudy and dark. "Looks like it's going to rain tonight, this track gets so slippery" Lando said.

"Be careful out there, if you see my idiot tell him that I want him in one piece by the end of this race" I joked but something felt off.

Lando laughed and we said goodbye before parting ways. Liza and I met with the rest of the team and we planned for the night. We had our routine interviews which I always enjoyed since I liked most of the boys I knew in the grid.

Once everything was done, Liza and I stood as we watched the cars being worked on by their teams before the formation lap. They were all arranged in their designated spots, the lights turned red and anticipation built. Seconds before the lights went out, rain began falling as we took cover. They were going to have to put to change tires.

The lights went out and away they went. I watched Charles gain two positions in the start which made me excited, laughing and cheering with Liza. They took sharp turns as the cars began separating between the top of the grid and the bottom.

Charles struggled to get past Pierre to gain a position and as they battled closely, suddenly one of the back tires exploded making him drift out of control. The track was already wet so it made the car spin faster. Everything began moving in slow motion, the car drifting along the side of the track and eventually flipping around violently. He rolled a couple of times before slamming into the barrier. Everyone gasped and everything went silent but I couldn't even let a sound out if I wanted. It felt like the wind had been knocked out of me as I watched him hit the barrier.