Chapter 12

Betty's POV:

I couldn't move.

I just stayed there and felt the burning hot tears roll down my face, while doctors and nurses rushed in. They tried some stuff, checked if the breathing mask just wasn't working but he wasn't breathing, so they took him away. As soon as I was alone in his room, I broke down crying. I don't know what just happened. I buried my face in my hands, drove fingers through my hair, freaked out, cried and cried.

It is all my fault, I'm so stupid.

I knew that bacteria was bad for him and still continued to... God... It was never this bad. Sure, sometimes he would lay in bed for a few days but it was never this bad. And he just never looked so... done, I guess. This night on the roof, he really tried to... to jump. And only because Archie and I gave him the last push... He was up there because he thought that we left him and didn't care about him anymore. We weren't there and then he tried to...

If I hadn't had this dream, I wouldn't have had the chance to save him. I don't want to let him go, not then, not now, not ever. I want to- I will be there for him. I won't make the same mistake again.
He is my best friend, he's Jughead... my Juggy...

Archie's POV:

When V and I were back at the hospital after school, we saw Betty in Jughead's room... alone... without Jughead. She looked like she had been crying, her hair was also a mess, she was trembling and mumbling something.

"Betty wha... what happened?" I asked.

"Where's Jughead?" V asked.

"It's all our fault, Archie..." Betty sobbed, looking up at me.

"What are you talking about?"

"We left him and then he- oh God now he is... he- he..." she started crying, probably again.

"It's isn't your - or our - fault, Betty, don't blame yourself for that. Jughead is ill, you can't do anything about that, okay?" she shook her head.

"It's- it's just... he doesn't have long, he told me that the operation, that- that it didn't go good... and..."

"Jughead is strong, he'll make it" I reassured her, walking over to her and pulling her in a hug. Though then Dr. Hamid soon entered the room. Betty pulled away from me to look at her.

"What happened? Is he... is he alive...?" Betty asked.

"He's going through it... though we do not know how long we can help him to stay stable. His heart beat is rather low, lung function has been dropping rapidly over the past week alone and with the operation not working it went down to a point, where we've never been... We can only hope for a transplant to finally come, but chances are high that he wouldn't even survive that... The best thing is to just wait and hope he continues fighting, as for now he might has two weeks, mostly a month..." she explained and I nodded, thanking her. She left, leaving the room in silence. Veronica walked over to me and wrapped her arms around me. I wrapped one arm around her while having the other around Betty.

"Have you heard? Jughead made it" I said to break the silence. Betty stood up.

"Have you listened? They don't know how long they can keep him stable! He will die, within a month Jughead will die, die Archie. The infinite thing, where he doesn't come back, okay?"

"Don't say things like that. He will make it" I said, trying to calm her down.

"No, Archie, he won't. Don't lie to yourself!"
I knew that I couldn't put too much pressure on Betty, so I decided to let her 'cool off' and stayed quiet.