LIFL - Chapter Three

Probably the three things I hate the most are that I'm not allowed my iPod on in class, I have to get up early and I have to leave my cat at home.

I love my cat. He's the closest I have to a best friend. That sounds so sad but it's true.

I throw on the most inappropriate things over my dull school uniform in attempt to annoy the equally dull employees at the School for Complete Losers (yes, I know I just called myself a loser, don't rub it in).

For example, we have to wear a green beret so I pin on a load of badges of skulls, I (heart) music and so on. In Summer, the girls are "advised" to wear skirts, so... I wear a skirt - over my school trousers. For shoes, I wear a pair of huge, chunky Gothic boots. I slide on spiked wristbands on each arm and keep my coat on all day.

It drives the teachers crazy, but when they tell me to wear school uniform, I say, "This is the school uniform; just with a few adjustments to suit my personality," *Dramatic Gasp* "You wouldn't be encouraging me to be anyone but myself, would you?"

That leaves them speechless every time. It's blissful to watch a teacher scouring their know-it-all brain for a witty comeback. By the time they come up with one, I will have left school decades ago.

I stuffed a load of books into my backpack, the one in the shape of a black goat with red eyes; grab the strap and storm downstairs.

Mum offered me breakfast, gesturing to a packet of cereal. I snatched the packet off the shelf and moodily shook the contents into a bowl. First, I drowned the cornflakes in milk and then sent in my spoon to bring me my food.

About five minutes before we had to leave, Kyle finally dragged himself down into the kitchen and mum started her description of the morning's menu for her special favourite. It's sickly. I want to be sick when I hear her carrying on to him.

Dad was in the office, as usual, "finishing off some work" which is what he's always doing. Does he finish one piece and then start another immediately after?

Mum hadn't even finished the choices of food when Kyle just muttered "Toast, mum." and she instantly set to work. The minute it popped out of the toaster, Kyle took it and started eating without butter or anything. Mum leaned forward expectantly, as if waiting for a grade.

"What's the verdict, doctor?" I asked and left the room, then the house; the street; the block, until I reached my school. I heard the sounds of kids screaming, evil laughing, and an organ playing like in old horror movies. I sighed, and braced myself to enter the House of Horrors for secondary school students.