LIFL - Chapter Four

Tap. Tap. Tap. A freaking heart-stopping scary monster leaps though the classroom window and swallows Miss Loighan whole...

"VICTORIA!!!" I rolled my eyes over to the person who practically drenched me in her saliva as she interrupted my sweet, sweet daydream.

"If I see you looking out of that window again, Victoria I'll..."

"What?" I said. How does she like being interrupted? I turn back to the window.

A vampire bat flies in, perches on Miss Loighan's shoulder and-

"Get out of this classroom, Victoria." She spat through gritted teeth.

"Gladly." I tweeted brightly, reaching for my bag, "Anything to get out of this rain."

Her eyes followed me as I made my way to the door.

"And the name's Ria." I slammed it shut behind me.

I strutted up the corridor and passed the nurse's office. And then turned back. A boy that looked exactly my age had his head tilted forwards with a tissue over his nose. I hadn't ever seen him before. I realised that I was staring. I scoffed and walked away.

Later on, I saw him again.

"Class, this is Zachary. He is joining today and I hope you will be especially nice to him..."

You know, yack, yack, yack, newbie joining day lecture.

Then she goes and asks who wants to show him around. Loads of girls waved their hands vigorously in the air, about to knock someone's eye out. I sighed and buried my head in my hands.

"Victoria!"

"Ria." I sneered under my breath. Wait. WHAT?!

And then, if that wasn't bad enough, she told him to sit next to me. I scowled at him as if it were his fault and dragged my stuff (which I had sprawled across the desk) out of the way.

Half way through the lesson I caught him staring at me.

"What?" I snapped. He shuffled uncomfortably in his chair and I turned away from him in exasperation.

I felt his eyes boring into my skull.

"What is your problem?!" I hissed.

He couldn't think of the right answer again and turned to the front of the classroom.

I tried to lose him, of course I did. I ran ahead - a little too fast; tripping in my chunky boots and falling on the stupid path.

He obviously did sports and caught up within a second. He stretched out a hand but I got on my feet myself and carried on walking. I still had some dignity.

"Girls' toilets. Boys' toilets. Science lab. Field. Track. You. Now, go away!"

I strode past him without another word and, fortunately, he actually didn't follow.