ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔬𝔫𝔢

CHAPTER ONE⃗✧◦ what the shit ◦✧⃗

CHAPTER ONE
⃗✧◦ what the shit ◦✧⃗

SOLAN MARTEZ WAS NOBODY'S HERO.

She wasn't a bitch or anything to her fellow man (most of the time). If she saw someone drop their wallet she would make sure it made it safely back to its owner, or she would help an elderly person cross the road before the cars would get sick of waiting. Being a good citizen and making life's minor inconveniences easy to get over? Solan was absolutely for it.

But if she was passing a dark alleyway at night and heard someone scream? She would look the other way, wait until she was out of view, then run like Sonic the hedgehog until she could get somewhere safe and call the GCPD.

Sticking out her neck for people wasn't exactly Solan's forte, and she had no intention of making it as such. Unlike many children who grew up in the age of heroes, Solan wasn't dreaming of rising up in her home city to defeat plagues of evil. She wasn't mentally designing a suit of armor or spandex that would match her equally dramatic alias, or deciding what powers she would crave the most.

Perhaps it was due to her mother that Solan never considered being a superhero to be the best way to do good, as Wella Martez was a soldier, fighting for her freedom thousands of miles away. Every time Solan thought of her mother, all she could think about was how the woman raised a daughter on her own while working two jobs to put food on the table. What did Superman do that could compare to that?

Maybe it was also because the city of her current occupancy was already being guarded by one of the most fearsome of heroes. Gotham City was still one of the most dangerous places to live in the United States, but criminals were certainly shaking in fear over the prospect of the Batman bringing them to justice. So what could Solan so that would compare to the ferocity and power of the Batman himself?

Absolutely nothing. Until that day.

That day started as any other for Solan. Her Aunt Maria woke her up in the same snappish tone she used for everything, demanding her niece wake up in time to get a proper breakfast before school. Maria Martez had a fantastic way of being caring while still sounding angry about it. It was something that anyone who met her could both fear and admire.

Solan groaned and groggily attempted to convince her aunt that she was up and ready to start the day, which she was definitely not, and already planning how to get back to sleep without Aunt Maria noticing.

"How your mother dealt with you for fifteen years is beyond me, you lazy child." Aunt Maria scolded when she came into Solan's room and found her fast asleep.

"Alright, I'm up. Jesus." Solan said irritably, sitting upright and rubbing the sleep from her amber eyes.

Aunt Maria stopped in her tracks and turned around. "What did you say?" She asked in a scary calm voice.