ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢

THE FOLLOWING EVENTS AFTER SCHOOL HAD OFFICIALLY TURNED THAT FRIDAY INTO THE WEIRDEST DAY OF HER LIFE.

"No updates on the missing Robin front, in other news." The news anchor was saying when Aunt Maria strolled through the front door, looking exhausted and keys jingling as she threw them on the counter.

Solan hummed a short greeting, eyes focused on the TV, but her mind was still on her fight with Eli. She didn't even turn her head when her aunt sat next to her on the couch, even though the cushions bounced and her arm nudged into her aunt's.

Aunt Maria noticed the change from her niece's usual self. Her grey hood was placed over her dark locks of messy hair, and even though her eyes were open, they were glossy and empty, merely reflecting the TV screen against them.

"What's wrong?" She asked confusedly, correctly interpreting the shell her niece seemed to be in as some kind of depressive state.

Solan's tanned fingers absently twirled a strand of her hair, and while she gave her aunt an answer, her head remained trained at the TV. "Me and Eli got into a fight today." She said flatly, voice croaking and raspy.

The tone made Aunt Maria's nerves spike, as it was the first time Solan ever seemed close to tears while in her care. She moved her focus to her eyes, searching more intently for evidence of crying. Since the only light on in the living room was from the TV, it was easily missed, but there were bags weighing down the seventeen-year-old's eyes, and the usual whites were slightly red.

"Oh, honey, I'm sorry." She said sympathetically, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and gently pulling her into her side. "What was it about?"

"He… he thinks I'm depressed." Solan said, choosing to skate over the fact that he also thought she was dangerously depressed. She didn't need her aunt jumping down her throat about taking care of herself, either.

"And you don't." Aunt Maria guessed, earning a long silence in return. She took that as a 'yes', and just elected to be the comforter instead of pressing further.

Solan appreciated the lack of questioning, unsure if she could handle talking about it again. She herself still wasn't sure how she felt about it, continually weighing the opinions in her mind and wondering if maybe Eli had a point.

Aunt Maria wasn't sure how long they sat there, a little less than ten minutes was her guess, but she glanced at the orange sky and the pink clouds that signalled the end to the evening and the entrance of night. "Have you eaten?"

━━━━━━━━━━

Lucky House Chinese Food was certainty no Aunt Maria made quality dinner, but it beat making her aunt spend the first hour after her long day of work cooking for the two Martez's. And it felt nice to get out of the apartment and wander into the nicer part of the city, even if it was just for an hour.

Solan dodged question after question about her day, especially about Eli and Mr. Rameiz, and opted to listen to her aunt's recount of her day at work. She was glad she did this, because it seemed Aunt Maria's was just as action-packed as hers. Apparently, her car had been broken into again while at work.

Aunt Maria didn't seem as phased, more because nothing was taken. Not to mention she had lived the past ten years in this city, and it was hardly the first time someone decided to search her car for stealable items. She waved her niece's concern aside, laughing about how whatever thief tried to victimize her beloved car must have been disappointed when they found out there was nothing to steal.

When they had finished dinner, they spent some time driving around the city while Solan finally shared a little more detail to her day, about something other than her fight with Eli. She told her more about Mr. Rameiz and his weird rushing her out. She explained her dreams with detail and got her aunt's opinion on what it could be. Aunt Maria was no dream interpreter, but they had a good time as they drove around.