ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔬

BEING DRIVEN BACK TO HER APARTMENT IN A POLICE CRUISER AND SPENDING THE NEXT HOUR ANSWERING QUESTIONS WASN'T HOW SOLAN EXPECTED HER NIGHT TO GO

But it was what went on in the Martez's little apartment.

Aunt Maria was thoroughly shocked when her niece came back ten minutes later than she expected, with two GCPD officers escorting her. She listened to the seventeen-year-old's recount of the events as she repeated them to the cops.

It was clear that Solan was fairly shaken by the events, as she kept shaking her head and repeating, "What even fucking happened?" every ten minutes.

The status of Aunt Maria's car had yet to be revealed, but both Martez girls figured it was probably best to just call the insurance company and get a payment for another one. Apparently, the burglars managed to out-maneuver its tail of following cops somewhere relatively far. Solan felt bad that they had gotten the car because of her letting them, but she also knew that Aunt Maria would probably be more angry if she stayed to keep the car, with a gun pointed at her head.

After an hour of questioning, a full sixty-minutes of giving the same answers to questions that were basically the same, just worded differently (no, I didn't get a look at their faces. No, I didn't recognize them, etc.), the officers finally left Solan and Aunt Maria alone, and headed back to, presumably, the GCPD.

After Aunt Maria showed them out, she immediately turned to her niece, who was tiredly sitting on the couch.

"Are you alright?" She asked, walking over and sitting next to her. She wrapped an arm around her niece's shoulders and pulled her into her side.

"I'm fine. Just tired." Solan said back, rubbing one of her eyelids.

Aunt Maria gazed at her with sympathy. She ran a hand through her niece's dark locks. "Go get some sleep, honey." She said gently.

Solan just nodded in response. She pushed off from the couch and told her aunt a goodnight, then walked into her room, shutting the door behind her.

Sitting on the edge of her bed, she yanked off her shoes and hoodie, throwing them in each of their respective places. She didn't bother to change out of the same jeans and shirt she picked that morning. She just laid under the inviting covers of her bed and drifted off into a dreamless sleep in no time.

The next morning, Aunt Maria woke her much kinder than she normally did. She had already made breakfast, and told her niece it was waiting for her whenever she decided to arise.

Solan sat up in bed and noticed that the sun was shining more behind the gray expanse that was the Gotham sky much brighter than it normally did when she woke up for school. She checked her phone on her bedside table and realized it was ten in the morning, two hours after school started.

"No school today?" Solan asked when she entered the kitchen.

Aunt Maria was eating her own breakfast, and Solan noticed she looked better rested. She took a sip of her coffee and placed it down on the counter. "No, I thought you could use the day off."