11

An indescribable burning was the only thing he could feel.

Burned flesh and blood was the only thing he could smell.

Immediately silenced screams of pain were all he could hear.

What his only good eye seemed to see was smoke, fire, and something moving amid all that mess. With what little strength he had left he managed to escape, he felt that something was chasing him.
He didn't want to turn around, he didn't want to see it. His legs did not seem to respond to him and even though he wanted to run, he only seemed to walk.

When he finally picked up speed he felt a hand grab his shoulder tightly and pulling him back.

He was snapped awake by this last act, sitting up in bed with his breathing and heart racing like crazy. Sweating cold. His left eye was red, analyzing the surroundings of him and remembering that day before it returned to the turquoise color that was more common in him now.

He looked at his hands, which were shaking slightly, clenched his fists and sighed. Those nightmares always woke him up in the middle of the night and made him sweat. His past continued to haunt him despite his attempt to change and leave all his mistakes in the past.

A few taps on the door of his room took him out of his thoughts, he managed to mutter a "go ahead", while he was still trying to catch his breath.

The door opened slightly, revealing a scruffy Walter. Killian turned on the lamp next to his bed.

He closed his eyes, for he was in the dark and his eyes had gotten used to it. The boy looked at him worried. He beckoned him inside.

He took a step forward, the older one could see that he had changed his usual clothes for a more comfortable one to sleep on.

- Do you feel good? I was getting ready to sleep when I heard noises coming from here.

- It's nothing just… – a pause invaded the room, he looked at his hands with a worried face, he didn't want to worry the boy. He seemed so cheerful and he didn't want to depress him with his problems.

He felt something lean on the edge of the bed as the mattress sagged slightly next to him.

-          Nightmares? – inquired the young man. Surprised, the man nodded. – Yes, I've been there too. – he confessed with a downcast tone – Do you want to talk about them?

- Not much, just that they are… about my past – with the tone he talked, Walter understood what he meant. He placed a hand on the older man's shoulder, trying to reassure him.

- I understand, do you need anything?

Only one thing crossed his mind when he heard that, but he did not know if it would be correct to ask him, he would not know if the brunette would feel comfortable doing it. Although it was worth a try.

- Could you sleep here ... with me?

He was more nervous about the answer than the question itself, his hand was shaking. He stopped looking at the sheets and looked up at the boy, to his surprise he was smiling at him with a warmth that he had not seen in another human being in a long time.

- Of course I can. – he said smiling. The older one was stunned, he moved aside to make room for him, Walter left his slippers on the floor and got into bed next to the older one.

The dark-haired man straightened up and lay down again, stiff as a rock, trying not to touch or even rub the oopposite. He settled with his back against  his and turned off the lamp.

- Good night. – he said almost in a whisper.

He closed his eyes tightly, forcing himself to sleep, he was physically and mentally tired. He felt how the child shifted between the sheets.

A hand touched his back, all the tension in his body was gone and he felt as if all the problems around him disappeared, he relaxed his shoulders and breathed normally.

- Mr. McFord. – called the opposite in a low voice.

- Yes?

- You can hug me... if you want.

Hearing those words his eye watered and tears threatened to come out. The last time he had felt so loved by someone was when he was little and his mother comforted him up in her arms.

He turned around until he was face to face with the boy and without hesitation he stretched out both arms and wrapped him in a hug. Desperate, yes, but comforting. Walter smiled and returned the action.

They both slept soundly for the first time in a long time.

The next day everything went smoothly, both had rested like never before. Walter spent the day watching movies that the oldest did not know, with messages of acceptance and change.

Tristan was happy to be able to spend that time with the boy and beyond his feelings, it was fun to be with. For he was a sweet and positive young man, he had seen something good in him despite his past and his actions so he would not let him down.
Even his friend's bird seemed to like him better.

At dinner time, they were both sitting at the table, chatting about a bit of everything. When he finished, the older one took the dishes and talked to the young one while he washed what was used.

The boy smiled and occasionally laughed, but suddenly his expression changed when a thought crossed his mind.

He closed the water and set the rubber gloves aside.

-Mr. McFord... – he called him in a neutral tone as he turned to see him, the aforementioned looked at him intrigued.

- Tell me.

- You think... you could forgive Lance?

The older man seemed to think about it seriously for a few minutes while he stared at a fixed point.

- Walter...

- I know it's sudden and irrelevant, but he's my friend toofixedi want you both to get along.

- Walt...

- He hurt you and I'm aware of it. I am not pressuring you to do so, he has changed and I am sure he is willing to apologize to you.

- Walter!

- What?

- I've been thinking about that too. I know Sterling is your friend despite what he has done and the people he has hurt, just like me.

- Then?

- I would be willing to forgive him if he asks me.