Chapter Two

"Lester, my favorite computer nerd," I smiled and gave him a gentle hug. "How have you been? It's been what? Two...three months?"

"It has been some time," Lester nodded. "Apologies for my absence, I've been in and out of the hospital."

"Lester, why didn't you tell me? I could've come by and helped you."

"I've got a wasting disease, not dead. The day I need help is the day I'm on my deathbed. Until then, I'm fine."

"Are you?"

"Yes. The doctor thinks that, due to my lowered immune system, I developed a bad case of pneumonia."

"We'll, I'm glad you're okay, but if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call."

"Ooh, offering sponge baths are you?"

"I've had to help Wade shower a few times, but I made him put on swimming trunks. You would have to do the same, but yes, if you were incapable of cleaning yourself, I would."

"Touching, really, but I'm fine. Now, can we eat or would you rather make senseless small talk until one of us falls for the other?"

"Such a tease," I scoffed. "Alright, let's eat." I looked over at Trevor, who was standing behind me in silence, watching as Lester hobbled his way over to a table his factory workers had set up. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Trevor mumbled. "I just—he looks different, more sick."

"I know," I sighed. "But he doesn't want to talk about it, so we have to drop it."

"I know I'm a dick to him, but I'm not sure I'll be able to handle it when he's gone."

"We can't think like that, Trevor. We just gotta take this one day at a time, just like he is." I gently kissed Trevor in the cheek and smiled. "Come on, let's eat." Trevor gently took my hand and followed me over to the table where Lester was talking to one of the workers.

"Yes, thank you," Lester nodded and watched the worker turn and disappear into another room. "Maria, she's a good worker and an even better cook. I've paid her to make our dinner tonight."

"That was nice of you."

"Trust me, you don't want my cooking. Another reason why I don't date. I can't cook beyond a microwave or basic stovetop dinners." Lester looked down at my hand. "Ah, and you've brought the Pinot."

"Pinot Gris, I hope that's okay."

"It's perfect. Come, sit." Trevor and I took our seats just as Maria and a few others entered the room with some wine glasses, silverware, and plates full of food. Chicken with rosemary wine sauce, baked potatoes, asparagus, and dinner rolls. "Lovely as always, Maria."

"Gracias," Maria smiled and walked away. I carefully opened the pinot and poured everyone a glass and we finally began to eat, much to my growling stomach's delight.

"This is amazing," I smiled, wiping my mouth on a napkin.

"Yes, Maria has her perks," Lester nodded. "Alright, enough small talk. I'm guessing you're wondering why I've called you here." Lester reached down beside his chair and lifted up a suitcase, opening it to reveal a folder.

"Kind of heavy packaging, don't you think?" Trevor teased.

"It's top secret, so no." Lester pulled out the folder and handed it to me. I opened the folder and came face-to-face with multiple mugshots.

"What is this?"

"Targets. These people are close to Lamont and are his next-in-line successors. Lamont is hiding, but only one of them knows where he is. Your job is simple, find them and get answers by any means necessary."