chapter one

season one

season one. episode one
bienvenidos

           CATALINA knew that she was lucky. She was the daughter of the two of the most well-known, and influential, women in Madrid, and she had even been featured on Forbes España's list of most influential teens of 2017. She vacationed in the best holiday destinations around the world, wore designer clothes, Catalina knew that she was born with a silver spoon.

She sat her vanity table, dark hair combed into a neat ponytail, accentuating her blue eyes. She looked impeccable, her makeup was minimal and not a single strand of hair was out of place, but she knew her mother, and Begoñia would have a thousand different things to say. Even if she was nearly flawless, Begoñia would pick on the smallest detail. Catalina straightened her navy blazer, and reached for the CB pendant that was immaculately kept in its original packaging, unlike the other necklaces that were tangled together in her jewellery box. Her brother, Polo, had given it to her on their twelfth birthday, when they had liked each other. It was special, her lucky charm... even if she would rather stab herself in the eye with a fork than admit to it. She stared at her reflection... perfecto. Her phone made a sound, and her heart dropped. She already knew who it was, and what he wanted, but she wanted to pacify her curiosity. She looked at the caller ID and frowned, Guzmán had to let go of the past... she already had.

She kept her phone in the pocket of her blazer and walked downstairs, fingertips trailing on the wooden bannisters of the staircase. She could hear their laughter. Polo was filling in their mothers on his trip to Monaco with his girlfriend, Carla, and her family. He had been away that entire summer, and as much as Catalina couldn't stand his existence, she wished that he had stayed with her. She made her way to the breakfast table, blowing an air kiss to her mother, Andrea, while she headed over to Begoñia. "Hola, Mamá," She greeted the both of them before she perched herself on the empty seat next to Polo. She turned to him and smirked, "Polito."

Catalina loved the constipated look on her brother's face. Polo hated the nickname because it made him feel insignificant to Guzmán - who started the name when they were children - and Ander. He subtly showed her the finger in response, which neither mother noticed as they were both occupied by their respective businesses. "Cariño," Begoñia beamed. She held the latest issue of Vogue in her hands, excitedly pointing at the front page. "Look how gorgeous you are."

Catalina frowned. Did Vogue actually photoshop her waist? Did they enhance her makeup? Catalina wanted to be a role model, not set unrealistic beauty standards. She forced a smile and grabbed a muffin from the table.

"I think a low-fat yoghurt would be better, cariño." Begoñia commented. Fuck. Stabbing herself in the eye did not seem like a bad idea after all. She felt a lump in her throat, her appetite fading, as she left the muffin back in its place, shaking her head when the housekeeper offered her a glass of orange juice. Begoñia's comment stung, but Catalina was used to it. Begoñia would disapprove on whatever Catalina chose to eat, say or do, Andrea would call her out on behaviour, and they would end up in an argument with the twins as bystanders. The love between them was very much alive after a decade and a half together, but it was easy to see how much their personalities clashed at times. "The kids from San Esteban are starting at school today," Catalina cut in, bringing the attention back to her. Polo scoffed. "I heard one of them is a waiter. Disgusting."