Chapter 11

The weeks passed by, mostly without incident. Getting noticeably closer to midterms each day. Classes dragged on in a somewhat normal fashion, although Jolie had grown to loathe detection sessions. Contrary to her first impression of this years sessions, the rush of excitement she had felt at the sight of a yellow crystal was smothered quite literally after they had leapt to a desert in the middle of nowhere. The sweltering heat beating down on them and on the sands of some obscure territory, all for the purpose of testing them for cryokinesis. 

Jolie had actually had a reasonable potential to manifest as a froster because Aunt Juline was one. Sadly, all the elf baking was in vain as she and her classmates leapt back to Foxfire, uniforms drenched in sweat. Brant seemed surprisingly fresh, as if he hadn't been roasted for the last two hours. Then again Brant was Brant, so that was enough explanation for her.

 Today was Tuesday, which meant a school-wide P. E. session and later, Alchemy with Lady Galvin. Everyone was extremely shocked when Lady Galvin, one of the most stingy and morose mentors at the school had moved up a level to mentor the same prodigy from the previous year. Even more so when she had again joined Jolie the next year as her Level three mentor. They had grown very close over the years and Lady Galvin had even said, "Miss Ruewen is the most remarkable prodigy I've had in decades." The remark still brought on a tiny sunburst of warm pride in her chest.

She licked the DNA panel to her amber locker grabbing the matching gym clothes that were noticeably more comfortable than her uniform. She changed into the light tunic and leggings provided for her. As she bent over to slip on her shoes, her stomach burbled. She almost groaned, regretting not having breakfast that morning. Lunch was in a whole two hours.  

"Um, Jolie?" A small, muffled voice came from the other side of the door followed by a light knock. Oh good a distraction from her ceaseless hunger. 

"Come in," Jolie knew that quiet voice anywhere and smiled as a red headed girl stepped into the small locker room area. The usual red curtain of hair obscuring her face was tucked back into a neat side braid. Jolie could see the sprinkle of freckles across Sorynn's tense face. 

"Hey Rynn, what's wrong?" She patted the spot on the bench next to her, the distressed girl sat down as Jolie pulled her into a slight embrace. Her sweet friend had been there for her, it was nice finally being able to do something for her.

"Well my roars have been getting a little out of hand lately." She instinctively ducked her head even though she couldn't hide behind her hair. Red embarrassment flushed her cheeks despite the many times Jolie reminded her it was nothing to be ashamed of. 

It was normal for elves to take a while to adjust to their new talents. Secretly Jolie had to admit it had been months and Sorynn still had very little control over her ability. Her roars- Zale's nickname had officially stuck- came about like very annoying and slightly alarming hiccups. Sudden and with no indication of how long they would last. Some of her bouts were very much roars, startling the whole cafeteria with a jarring noise. There were these sounds even worse than siren song detentions with Sir Conley. Others were strange prolonged screeches that hurt her ears. She couldn't imagine what it was like for the poor girl.

Meanwhile her ability certainly did not increase her popularity at the school. On top of that, she was a twin. Notoriety on the other hand was plentiful, certainly not the good kind. Jolie noticed the whispers and dirty looks as her friend walked through the hallways. She also noticed Sorynn pretending not to notice the constant scorn that followed her around like a cloud above her head. 

As she squeezed Sorynn once more, the cloud seemed to dissolve but still loomed outside the locker room. That would have to do for now. 

"I just wish that I could stop the roars from happening. I'm still not trying hard enough though. This is worse than being talentless." She sighed stared at the patch of floor beneath her feet.