CHAPTER 44: Second Chance [✔]

CLAIRE’s P.O.V.

“I wouldn’t leave you and take our daughter away. You know I’m not that kind of guy. So please, stop worrying.”

          After he said that, I felt guilty. He didn’t trust me before, so I’m having a hard time trusting him now. I just nodded towards him, still silent when he opened the door of his car for me.

         The first time I saw him in front of the mall, I felt nervous, and I didn’t wanna told him the truth. I’m afraid that if ever he found out about Cloey, he will take her away from me using his money. But he didn’t. He stay contented at the fact that I only allowed him to meet my precious daughter along with me.

         We spend the day buying Cloey’s stuff. Anything that she wanted, Darren bought it for her. He also tried to give me some money for Cloey’s expenses but I refused to accept it. Because of that, he gave it to Cloey instead. I couldn’t argue anymore, for it was all for Cloey and not me.

          That’s how our weekend routine started. Every Saturdays and Sundays, Darren will fetch me and Cloey to our house. I didn’t want to come, though I couldn’t let him take Cloey without me. I’m still having some trust issues despite the fact that Darren already talk to my Dad and to my grandma. Alexa and him also met and my little sister was very delighted to see him again.

         Three months had passed. I’m pretty sure that Darren wasn’t just here for Cloey. I know he was planning something else. He’s very vocal about his feelings... He told to my Dad that he wanted a second chance and he will wait for me to give it to him. But I don’t know... It wasn’t that easy trusting him again.

          Today is Monday. Yesterday, Darren brought us to a fancy resort... With my whole family. Dad seems fine with having him around... But I wasn’t. I still couldn’t believe that after two years, he will suddenly shows up like nothing happened between the two of us.

“Claire... Come here,” Grandma called me, making me stop thinking about him.

         I was currently washing the dishes, while Dad and Alexa are playing some random games. Grandma’s carrying Cloey in her arms while staring at me intently.

“Why?” I asked, worried.

“I think Cloey have a fever or something. Look.”

           I instantly touched her forehead and cheeks, making sure that she has the proper temperature. Grandma is absolutely right. Cloey is burning up.

“Call her father right now...” Dad suggested.

“Dad... We don’t need to call him. I’ll bring my daughter to the nearby clinic tomorrow. Maybe she’s just tired because of yesterday.”

“Fine. But don’t you think Darren deserves to know about this?”

“Dad...”

“Okay, okay.”

“I’ll just bring her to your room,” Grandma stated.

         I nodded, before continuing my work. When grandma came down from our room, she helped me in doing the other household chores. Exactly three hours had passed, Alexa decided to take a nap for she was also tired because of our outing yesterday. She climbed up the stairs, towards the second floor.

“Claire, aren’t you planning to gave Cloey’s father another chance?” Dad suddenly asked, making me choke on my drink.

“Dad! That’s hilarious!”

“I’m serious, Claire. If he really didn’t care before... He wouldn’t be wasting his time here when he could be the greatest businessman in our country.”