Chapter Three

Ruby had never worn trousers before. Now, she realized how deprived of comfort she had always been. True, no proper lady would be caught dead in such garb, but she doubted that anyone would look twice at the trousers as long as she had a knife the size of her forearm hanging from her hip. Its curved blade bounced against her thigh as she twisted to see herself better in the mirror. These commodities were meant to make her feel powerful and prepared, but as she finally turned away from the mirror she realized how small she felt, like a child playing dress up with her daddy's work clothes.

"Do you remember what I told you?" Appa asked behind her.

She turned to the man she called a father and nodded uncertainly. "Don't talk to strangers, run before I have to fight, and never sleep on the ground."

"Good girl. One more thing."

Ruby found herself turning to glance once more at the mirror as he disappeared into the next room. The reflection was nearly unrecognizable. Gone were the soft pastel blouses and light skirts. Now, she wore a rough brown work shirt and riding trousers, though it had already been agreed that the little town could spare no horses in the midst of the harvest. Still, the trousers were durable and easy to move in, and she figured that both of those things would be necessary for her journey ahead. Everything about her appearance was now purely practical. Appa had helped her comb the flowers from her hair and it was now pulled tightly into a braid that cascaded halfway down her back. She didn't look anything like herself.

"Here it is." Appa said and she turned hastily away from her reflection, a blush creeping across her pale skin.

However, she forgot about her embarrassment when she saw the red cloak draped over her guardian's arm. A thrill of icy nostalgia swept through her and for a long, silent moment she feared she may cry.

"The ladies of town remade it." He answered when she didn't ask. "It was meant to be a wedding gift, but in light of recent events, we all agreed it was only appropriate to give it to you now."

Ruby took a tentative step forward, afraid that if she dared touch the material it may disappear.

"Go on. They used the fabric from the old one. They just had to add the fur—for warmth." He said, offering it up once more, "We thought it would be appropriate for you to leave the village the same way you came into it."

She swallowed hard and accepted the gift. It was heavy and soft and when she draped it around her shoulders with trembling hands she could have wept. It felt like safety. The hood, when drawn around her face, was a gentle caress against her cheeks. Swaddled in it, she felt for the first time all night like she may be able to succeed in this.

The first cloak had been pinned around her shoulders when she survived the forest the first time. Why not now?

"May I see Edward?" She asked quietly, and then ventured a glance at Appa.

He smiled, eyes gleaming, and nodded. "Of course, child. It seems only fitting."

She slipped quietly into the room that Edward was staying in, the same room she'd stayed in 10 years ago when she'd been injured and afraid. She'd been wearing the first cloak, bloody and torn to the point of unrecognizable. But now, with the restored cloak, her courage seemed to have found its footing.

Edward was buried beneath a healthy layer of blankets, and she crept to his bedside, searching his face for signs of his wellbeing. All night, he'd been crying out to invisible beasts, and he was still buried beneath a weighted blanket to stop the thrashing. Now, though, he seemed to be sleeping, and Ruby had to wonder if it was only because he'd exhausted himself.