Chapter 2

Miley walked it with a stagger. She looked so rugged and blood was oozing from a deep gash on her forehead. I rushed up to her and held her in my arms. A group of other detectives who were trained in first aid ran to her and treated her while I stood back and watched. Where was she? What had happened? I was brimming with questions but they couldn't be answered until Miley was better.

Miley. Miley Johnson. My brain still couldn't believe she was here alive. I couldn't process how this could happen. I would have never have thought this could happen but over the course of the year, I still had a secret hope that she was alive. Miley Johnson was alive. That still sounded so surreal and impossible to me.

I watched as they carried her onto an oncoming ambulance. By this time, she had gone unconscious and I wondered how long it would be until they let me question her. My mind rattled with an overload of questions. Although the fact she was alive was so confusing, I wondered how she made her way to the office building. Even if she made her way here, didn't security stop her? The only time I had heard of something similar was when a suspect came through to tell a detective something but died before they could. Maybe she wanted to tell me something vital? Was I in danger?

That dark thought overshadowed my mind for the rest of the day. I tried to think about how happy Miley's family would be to have her back. I remembered a terrible thing. Her family moved to Spain because everywhere they looked, in America, reminded them of Miley.

I couldn't imagine their pain. If Miley had been dead, they could have healed after. But with the unknown, it leaves a terrible hope, not letting their wounds heal and keeping it deep and fresh.