Chapter 2: a lesson

Armed with the knowledge that the possibility of entering the world of the living was real, Dream only had one thing at the top of his priorities.

"Teach me."

Sapnap turned to him, "Teach you?" He sputtered, "Dream, I don't even know how I did it. I'm sorry if I got your hopes up." He said as he watched his friend's face fall. "Oh no. I didn't mean it in a-"

"I know." Dream sighed, looking over at his old guitar which now belonged to Wilbur and ran his hand across it, "It's just been a long time."

Sapnap nodded in understanding, "Time goes by slowly here, I know. I've been here longer."

There were no clocks or calendars, so it was up to them to rely on their own memory to estimate what the date was. Time was non-existent, but they held on to the hope that they still had a sense of when it was.

He remembered the lyrics he had sung to George once over the phone,

"and time goes by so slowly, and time can do so much."

Sapnap noticed his friend falling into deep thought, and immediately knew it was about George. He had put his hand on Dream's shoulder and took a deep breath, "The last thing I remembered before I saw Darryl was thinking of the memories I made with him. Then when I opened my eyes I saw him."

Dream looked up, "Oh." He said, "It must have been a hallucination, then."

Sapnap's brow furrowed, "Why would you say that? I thought you believed me now."

"Because," Dream explained, "all I ever do is think of the memories I made. All I ever do is think. It should have happened to me already at this point but it hasn't."

Sapnap tried to assure his friend, "Well then maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that wasn't the reason I was able to get in his world."

"Then what would the reason be?" Dream asked.

"Depends." Sapnap said, "Who do you want to see first?"

---

They were now standing in the upstairs bedroom of his childhood house. In front of an old telephone.

"You're choosing to see Wrong Number over your own family?" Sapnap asked in disbelief, gesturing to the old house.

Dream shook his head, "Most of my memories are here. From when I was a kid, to when I brought Wilbur and Dave here to see my childhood house, and when I accidentally locked Drista in the car with a spider in the driveway. I have more memories here than just George."

Sapnap nodded in understanding slowly, "Okay. Well, go."

"Go?" Dream said sassily, "What do I even do?"

Sapnap gestured wildly, "Well I don't know. Do your 'trying to see into the living world' thing."

"Wh- How?"

"I don't know, Clay." He said in an obnoxious tone, "I'm not the all knowing king of the ghosts."

"You're the one that was able to do it." Dream put his hand on Sapnap's shoulders and shook him crazily, "Please?"

"Such a wild child." Sapnap sighed, "Just think of the memories I guess."

"Think of the memories I guess." Dream mocked, and Sapnap rolled his eyes with a smile.

"You know," Sapnap began, "I thought you'd die and we'd have this cute reunion but here we are. You're still such a sassy pissbaby." He said jokingly, and Dream shook his head with a laugh.

Dream closed his eyes and started thinking. He thought hard about all the memories that were made in the house. From getting into fights with his sisters, to bringing Sapnap in for the first time, breaking his window with a baseball.