Chapter 5: the card

If you didn't know, Charlie is Slimcicle on youtube teehee

The tension in the room was unimaginable as Charlie sit on the sofa with an awkward smile. He could tell there was still a trace of reluctance within George's plastered belief.

Charlie cleared his throat, "So uh," he noticed George didn't look up but continued talking, "how do you two know each other?"

George shut his eyes for a moment, his stomach slowly churning. A bit of his skepticism had faded when he remembered he had once experienced strange occurrences in the past.

Compared to the telephone calls of last year, ghosts didn't seem like all that much of a big deal.

"Where is he?" George managed to ask after the long silence following Charlie's question.

George's followed Charlie's eyes, which slowly traced across the room before reaching the spot next to George on the couch. "Right next to you."

George flinched a bit and shivered at the cold. His throat started shaking as he attempted to control the memories rushing back to his head. Tears started to form in his eyes.

Charlie's eyes widened, "He said 'don't cry.'" Charlie tried to comfort the young man, but it was proving no use.

George turned to his left.

"Other side." Charlie corrected him.

"Oh." George said as he turned to his right, "I don't really know um- what to say to you, Dream." He spoke to a seemingly empty spot on the couch.

"He said you don't have to say anything at all," Charlie told him, "and that you probably shouldn't say anything since there's a nosy eavesdropper- Hey! I'm not eavesdropping, I don't have a choice but to hear what you say." Charlie apparently argued with the spirit.

George almost smiled. All those years and a death, and Dream was still possessed the humor he once loved best. Almost smiled.

"I will say, there will never truly be privacy," Charlie said unfortunately, "I'm your only means of communication, I'm afraid."

George nodded slowly in understanding, "I don't know how any of this works."

"Me neither." Charlie admitted and George gave a look of confusion.

"I thought 'talking to ghosts' was your job." George questioned and Charlie shifted in his seat.

"Well, it is but- you shut up." He seemingly scolded at Dream, "He's laughing at me. He must be the sassiest dead person that exists."

"Sounds like him." George chuckled a bit. He had more composure than he did earlier.

"He asked what that's supposed to mean." Charlie carried the message to George, who only smiled a tiny smile in response.

"He knows what I mean."

"This all must be very shocking and hard to stomach for you." Charlie told George, who nodded with a small breath of a laugh.

"No kidding." George relaxed in his seat, "But I've been through weirder things."

"What could be weirder than this?" Charlie locked his eyes on where Dream sat and gave him a cold stare.

George now fully grinned, "You don't even know."

Charlie's eyes shifted from Dream to George, "I'm guessing this is an inside joke that I'm not a part of, given the fact that Clay found what you just said to be funny."

George's heart started to ache again with the bittersweet knowledge that he still had the ability to make Dream laugh.

"What's so important that's upstairs?" Charlie asked.