Six

I'm conflicted. That's it. That's what I'm feeling lately.

I'm 27 years old and my love life is a complete mess.

A part of me has always liked Spence: his adorable charm, beautiful face... but I can't mess up our friendship. I love him too much for that.

And then there's Will. We've been talking several times a week on the phone, he wants to fly up here just to take me out on a date. I might even let him.

But something in my gut is telling me not to. I don't know why. He's charming. He's attractive. He's smart. And something about his accent makes me smile. But something is holding me back. And I really freaking wish I knew what.

Emily... every time I see her something happens in my stomach. It's like a cage of butterflies was released, and they're just flying around manically. But I don't like girls. I never have.

I push my hair out of my face with my hand, staring into the mirror. My blue eyes gaze at my reflection. I let out a long breath and get ready for work.

Last night, I got a call while all of us were at the bar...

Penelope and I are sitting at a table, drinking away when Emily and some guy walk up to us. She's smiling from ear to ear.

"Ladies, this is Brad. A real FBI agent," Emily says, setting down glasses almost filled to the brim.

I hold back a laugh. "Really?"

"Really."

"No way," I say, acting impressed.

"That's exciting! What's it like at Quantico?" Penelope says, saying the name hilariously wrong. Her face is straight the entire time.

"It's uh, quite impressive," the man says.

"What department are you in?" I ask.

"That's classified."

I cock my head, giving him a smile. "That must be really tough keeping all those secrets."

After this little game goes on for a while, we all show him our badges and he just walks away. We burst into laughing in harmony. I make eye contact with Emily, she looks so relaxed and fun at the same time. With her big smile, bouncy brunette curls, and shining brown eyes, I'm convinced this woman is flawless.

My phone rings. "Agent Jareau." I stand up, Penelope and Emily are talking and giggling. "Sorry ladies," I say to them. We have a case.

Now, it's 6 in the morning and I'm about to head out of my apartment. We meet at Quantico at 6:30, earlier than we usually do. I present the case to the team, and Hotch tells us to be on the jet in twenty.

Bodies have been found in the Idaho wilderness for the past couple of weeks. We're on the jet, flying to the lovely state of Idaho. Sarcasm of course.

I'm sitting next to Spencer across from Hotch and Gideon. We're going over the case once again, trying to evaluate what we have so far.

When we land, I'm assigned to talk to vitcim's families at the police station. I love my job, but I hate constantly being the one to endure the heart broken faces on parents' and family members' faces when they found out their loved one is gone.

I sigh, walking to the room. I talk with a few victim's families. Their tears seem to fill the rooms like a water faucet. Husbands holding their wives as they cry, siblings shocked faces, significant others holding their heads as they try to wrap them around what they just heard.

"The Most Dangerous Game," Spencer says.

I look up at him. I know the story, I've read it.

"People hunting other people," Morgan nods his head.

"It would make sense as to why they're found in the wilderness. Not very many people go out there for fun."

"He takes them there, then hunts him," Hotch says, agreeing.

After more research from Penelope, insights from the team, and thinking back to the crime scenes, we discover there must be two unsubs. One is dominant and it was his idea to start the hunting. The other is submissive and hesitant, he probably knows what they're doing is wrong, but he's the only family he has left. A part of him likes the hunting too.

In the story of The Most Dangerous Game, the hunter didn't find animals satisfying enough. Humans are more sophisticated and able to think more clearly, but putting them out there and treating them as wild animals flipped on a "survival mode" switch. It was rewarding to hunt his own kind.

That's what these unsubs believe too. It's sick, but it's not the worst we've seen.

I sit next to Emily on the jet ride home. We talk a bit until I begin drifting to sleep. I see her smile softly before my eyes refuse to stay open.

810 words. short little update for ya babes. sooo i was thinking that this story won't be too long. definitely shorter than my others, probably around 15 or so chapters give or take a few:)