Chapter 15

Tom and Sierra had formed a sort of schedule by the time Wednesday arrived. After Kurtis had finished training with Enaj and Aivilo on Monday afternoon, he drove them back in time for them to be home for dinner. The next two days had been the same: Trebor had picked them up in the morning and brought them to Kurtis's place.

Tuesday they watched more trainings and learned about the Superhumans by asking questions and looking through Kurtis's collection of Superhuman-made books. A collec­tion he claimed to have studied for clues as to help the Superhumans since their defeat.

When Wednesday came around, Tom couldn't help but feel excited. He'd grown to admire Trebor, despite not hav­ing seen him use his abilities. But today was the day he'd start training. Tom and Sierra had watched the morning practice with Bacon and Alyakim and Aivilo, and were now getting lunch—they were making sandwiches with the rest of the Superhumans in the cramped kitchen.

The way the Superhumans interacted was amazing. It felt like a big family to Tom, and he felt like he was included. Tom and Sierra had grown closer to the Superhumans in the week they'd known them. The Superhumans treated them like old friends once they'd warmed up to Tom and Sierra and were convinced they didn't have some ulterior motive. The Superhumans talked, joked around, and gener­ally made the place feel welcoming. It was hard to imagine them fighting in a war.

Tom had been engrossed in a lively conversation with Bacon and Hanna, Mac, and Lassos when he heard people coming down the stairs. He turned his head and felt his face go slack in surprise.

Aivilo and Trebor were dressed for combat. While Trebor had worn normal jeans and another graphic t-shirt that morning when he'd picked them up, he looked entirely different in his Superhuman clothes. He was dressed in all black; a black, form-fitting shirt that hugged his broad shoulders and chest, black pants tucked into black combat boots and a black overcoat with coattails. It was fastened across his chest with golden-chained clasps. His earring glinted in his right earlobe, and on his hands were his sig­nature black biker gloves.

Aivilo was a stark contrast to Trebor's dark appearance. Under a bright red, sleeveless waistcoat embroidered with gold, she wore a white tank top tucked into black, form-fitting pants tucked under thigh-high boots made of brown, canvas-like material. The gold embroidery on her waistcoat reminded Tom of flames. Her fiery hair was unbound, and cascaded down her back in waves. Her bright blue eyes stood out against her fair skin. Her hands were also clad in black gloves, but unlike Trebor, the palms of her gloves were cut out in addition to the fingers. Blitz the fox was positioned at her side.

"Well, don't you two make quite the entrance," Mac announced smugly.

All the Superhumans laughed, including Aivilo and Trebor, though they rolled their eyes almost simultaneously. Tom supposed the Superhumans were used to seeing each other in their combat clothes. He was still trying to wrap his head around it.

Did they always look that spectacular?

"Are you two ready?" Kurtis asked.

Aivilo and Trebor nodded, and Kurtis ushered them toward the door. Tom stood from his chair.

"Where are you going?" Bacon asked.

"To watch," Tom replied. He motioned for Sierra to follow, and she stood from her finished card game with Ammee and Alyakim. Bacon chuckled.

"Well, be careful. Trebor and Aivilo can be aggressive."

Tom nodded, though he had no idea what Bacon meant, and followed them outside.

⁕⁕⁕

Whereas Kurtis had done most of his sessions outdoors, he now led them to a big, secluded warehouse that was tucked into the woods to the north of his house. Opening the door, Kurtis ushered them inside. Aivilo said something to Blitz, and the fox bounded away into the wilderness.