Suspension Letter

October 30, 2020

Mr. Ukyo Saionji

Dear Mr. Saionji:

This letter constitutes official notice of your suspension without pay for three (3) months because of your misconduct involving drinking on duty on August 29, 2020. The effective dates of your suspension are November 2, 2020 through January 29, 2021, inclusive and you are expected to report back to duty on Monday, January 25, 2020. This action follows an investigation by Irene Jackson, Department Head and Andrew Albright, Associate Director.

Specifically, on August 29, 2020 at approximately 3:45 p.m. you were observed stumbling as you got off from your working space. You fell into your chair at your desk and knocked keyboard and mouse to the floor. Next you began swearing in a loud, slurred voice. You then stood and went to the coffee area where you were observed taking a small flask from your suit pocket and drinking directly from it. When your co‑worker asked you what you were doing you replied, "None of your damned business honey." You were subsequently put off duty and brought back to your sleeping deck by a member of the staff.

In both the investigative and pre‑disciplinary meetings, where you were represented by union steward Annette Nelson, you denied these charges completely. You stated you had not stumbled nor drank and that you had been slandered by people in your team. You had no explanation for the observation of the flask or the fact that two co‑workers and your supervisor noted a strong odor of whiskey about your person.

Our work as sonar technician submarine (STS) requires that people report to duty in a fit condition and remain so. Bringing alcohol on board and consumption of alcohol while on and off duty is prohibited and a violation of this basic rule is considered a serious violation. As you know, this prohibition is specifically referenced in our work rules (letter A) and in regulation 5‑240‑1 (c) (10) of the Department of Administrative Services which lists causes for dismissal. A second offense of this nature will lead to more serious disciplinary action at the level of dismissal.

I wish to reiterate the recommendation that was made in our last meeting on October 20, 2020 that you utilize the confidential resources of the Employees' Assistance Program. As noted before, I would be happy to make the referral appointment for you, and I strongly urge your consideration and utilization of this resource.

You have a right to appeal this action under the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Sincerely,

Aliza C. Wilder
Director of Human Resources

.

.

.

a/n:

Pardon me if there are any mistakes in this suspension letter. I just took it from some templates on Google and changed some part to connect them with the storyline LOL