Chapter 10

My vision blurred and I wasn't connected to any of my senses. My hearing went mute, my sight was blurred out of focus and I couldn't even keep a straight thought.

But then, my vision came back to focus. I snapped out of it, and I looked beside me, at Michael still crying.

What? I was completely losing it. It was an illusion. My mind was fucked. I didn't kill Michael, it was a vision I had hallucinated into but it showed me something of another reality, another scenario, another universe parallel to mine. I looked around, I was still sitting on the cold concrete, with my wrists untied and my daughter not standing there, on the top of the staircase.

I turned to my side and the entity of Kayla was no longer there. I wasn't sure how much time had passed by as I was stuck in that state. But judging by my surroundings, it had to have only been a few minutes.

"I-I'm sorry Michael. I'm very sorry." I told him once again.

He looked up at me with sadness written on his face. He didn't know what to do, and neither did I. Roxanne wasn't home yet, thank God. I don't know what the vision was telling me, but it instilled a thought in my head that I couldn't erase.

I can't let Kayla continue to haunt my life, to possess me for evil. I couldn't take another person's life, even out of self-defense. Michael had his reasons; he had every reason to want to kill me. I couldn't blame him for the response. But I feared for my life, that somehow, some day, I would get my karma.

And most importantly, I could never do this to Roxanne. I could never put myself in a position to lose her, the only one I have due to horrible decisions I made when I was a child. That vision gave me an insight into what would possibly happen, if I killed Michael right here, in my home. And risking the chance of Roxanne seeing it firsthand.

I breathed heavily and looked over at him once more.

"Why did they set you free? How did you get out of a life sentence? How?" Michael asked me in a softer tone this time.

"I don't know how exactly, either. An old boyfriend of mine was able to grant a court order of anonymity. Allowing me to change my name, and my profile. I remain anonymous and no one knows where I live now or anything about my new life." I responded. He just stood silent.

"H-How did you find out? How did you find where I live?" I asked him in return.

"I looked everywhere for you. I kept an eye open at all times, because something deep in me told me you were still out there," Michael said. "You were in jail for twelve years. I always made sure you were still there. I was.. I was afraid. I told the cops everything and I was afraid you would get out and then kill me next."

I just looked down at the concrete. I put so much fear into Michael not realizing it practically ruined his whole life. I was the monster he was hiding from.

"I thought that if I get to you first, before you get to me, I would be.. safe." More words came from his mouth.

"I don't know how I can ever make you believe me, but I'm not going to hurt you. I don't expect you to trust me, definitely not forgive me. I will stay far away from you, I will stay with my daughter." I responded.

He slowly got up and faced me. "I don't know how this will ever be .. right. I don't know what you can do to make it right."

I just stood there, trying to search for something, anything, to say.

"I don't know, Michael. I don't know."

He turned towards the staircase then back at me.

"Maybe, just maybe, you will get what's coming for you. But I won't be the one to do it for you. I will not become what you were. Goodbye, Kayla." Then he walked