Chapter 6

"Don't...please don't." I begged.

"No, you deserve this. All of it. You don't know how happy I am that I can finally do this." They grabbed the knife and inched closer to me. "Goodbye, Kayla."

I jerked awake and was covered in sweat. I couldn't control my heavy breathing.

I prayed last night was just a dream. The break-in, the crashing noise, the threatening note on the floor..

I looked at the edge of my bed and it was all real. I ran my fingers through my hair and for the first time in a while, I cried. Uninvited tears welcomed themselves as they strolled down my cheeks and I bit my lip to keep quiet.

"Mom?" I heard Roxanne behind the door and I quickly wiped my face and cleared my throat.

"Yes honey?"

"Is everything okay? I heard something last night."

"Yes..it's fine. Don't worry about it." I wanted to make sure Roxanne lived a good life, where she doesn't have to let my past haunt her too.

I want her to have the least of worries, compared to me. I believe I changed and so does Travis, and I don't want Roxanne to know anything because I don't want her to be so scared of me, I don't want her to stay up late at nights because she can't sleep and all that's on her mind is what I've done, the horrible crimes that no child whether they're six or sixteen should have to endure.

"I made breakfast." I heard her voice say and I smiled.

"You did? You didn't have to..I could've make something." I said as I met her outside the bedroom door.

"I woke up early and was bored. I just made some pancakes." She told me and directed me to the table; I was in awe. My girl was so gifted, the table was set perfectly and delicious-smelling pancakes filled two plates. I knew from the start that she would pursue some type of cooking career in her future.

"Can I go to Abby's house today since you're working?" She asked me over breakfast.

"Of course." I told her. Since her father left both of us, it's been hard especially since Roxanne was younger; she was babysat and I had to work two jobs just to support us.

When the time came, I dropped Roxanne off at her friend's house and I went over to the grocery store I work at. Days went by slow at the store; I felt like it was endless some days.

On my break I stood outside and lit a cigarette. I remember my first one. Time has changed drastically.

When the day was over, I arrived at my house and all of the lights were off. I must have forgotten to turn the porch light on before I left. Abby's mom said she'll drop Roxanne off a little later, so I didn't have to worry about getting her. I unlocked the door and walked in, something seemed a bit..off.

I switched the light on and I covered my mouth with my hand. Everything looks different. It looks like someone's been inside today.

Shaking with trembling hands, I slowly walked further in the home and grabbed the telephone off the wall. The first person I got a hold of, the one person who's never changed their number. I know things weren't going so great between us, but I needed comfort for what would come.

"Travis.." I spoke without thinking.

"Who is this? Why are you calling so late at night?" His voice was brisk and I knew I shouldn't have called him.

"It's.. Travis, someone is in my home. Or was." I said.

"Maggie?" His voice was full of question and curiosity.

"Help me..someone must have broken in.." I knew exactly who it is, no matter how many times I wanted to ignore and brush the fact away, I knew who it was.

There was a loud smash across the house. I jumped and I was shaking.

"What was that?" Travis asked.

"C-Come Travis, I don't know what to..do." I couldn't believe my own voice and how it was so different now. I couldn't believe anything.

The line was cut. "Damn it!" I screamed and slammed the phone into the holder.

"Come out, now!" I yelled and grabbed the fire iron from beside the fireplace and held it out. The rest of the house was completely dark, except for the living room in it being lit up from the dim lamp.

I backed away even more when the man revealed himself. I knew just who he was. I knew who he was by the letter, but I told myself it couldn't be him. It couldn't. I could see it in his eyes, exactly who he was. And he was standing across the room from me with a knife in his hand.

Michael.