Chapter 1

PART II

"Roxanne, wake up!" I repeated myself for the twelfth time already in the doorway of her bedroom.

2001

"Alright, alright." She mumbled and I left to take a shower.

Once I stepped in the warm shower, I washed my blonde hair—which I needed so badly to re-bleach, because the dark roots were already coming in—and grabbed the bar of soap on the handle.

I can't help but smile at the fact that things are going wonderfully. Life has been simple for me. I already had my whole day planned out: I would get out of the shower, get dressed, drive Roxanne to school, and come home and write some more. I had a job as a cashier down the long road but I also wrote in my free time.

"Hurry up in there, will ya?" Travis' voice sneaked into my mind.

Flashbacks and memories of him banging on the bathroom door while I was showering flooded my mind. I frowned when I thought of it. I missed Travis. I fell in love with him and my past ruined it all for me.

Did you really love him? I thought.

Of course I did. With every ounce of me; I loved that man. I was young and after years of hiding, he found me and we lived together. He was the first human being that loved me. And he was way too good for me, definitely. I lost him because of Kayla.

No, I can't think about who I once was. I am not Kayla. Not anymore.

Then there really was a banging at the door. My heart leaped; what if it is Travis and I'm not daydreaming?

"Mom, are you done? We have to go!" Roxanne said and I sighed. I shut the shower off and dressed myself after drying with a towel.

"I have to do this writing project and I need some help with it later, since you like writing." Roxanne told me as we got in the car.

"Of course I can help you sweetie." I smiled and we soon drove down the long road until we eventually got to the school.

"I'll see you later, okay Kayla?" I asked and she raised an eyebrow in confusion. "What? Kayla?"

"Oh—" why did I just say that? "I mean, Roxanne. I don't know why I said Kayla." I admitted.

"Okay. I'm your only child, you shouldn't be mixing up names already." She laughed and shut the car door.

A man in a suit and clean-cut smiled and walked over to my car.

"Maggie, how are you?" He asked.

"I'm doing great, how are you Charlie?" I asked. He was the man I was 'seeing' for a while. We just went on a date the other day.

"Just dropped Liam off. How's yours?" He asked, referring to Roxanne.

"She's good, thank you." I smiled.

"Ohh.." he said and his eyes were directly behind the car and I turned. "What is it?"

It was a man who looked eerily familiar and he was in a car parked next to me. He was staring right at me but as soon as I looked, he looked away and drove off.

"Secret admirer?" Charlie laughed and I just shook my head.

"Some creep, probably." I laughed. It was strange.

"Alright, well I'll see you later on. Have a nice day Maggie." He smiled and got into his car and drove off.

When I got home later that day, I checked the mailbox. I forgot to get the mail from yesterday so it was piled up in my box waiting to be retrieved. I took the pile and placed it on the counter while making myself breakfast.

I sifted through the mail on the counter and nothing appealed to me. Just junk. But one thing in particular caught my eye. It was a folded up paper, no envelope signifying that it was meant for me. It was like someone just opened my mailbox and placed it in there.

I unfolded it and my eyes widened.

Kayla— you may have forgotten me, but I did not forget you, and all the things you did.