Chapter Five: Mistakes

"Hey dude! Your mom was cooking, so I just let myself in." Okuyasu walked into Josuke's room, putting his bag down in the middle of the floor.

"Hey!" Josuke paused the game he was playing, which happened to be Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, borrowed from Okuyasu. "How's it going?"

Okuyasu thought for a minute. "Not as bad as I've ever been. You?"

Well, it was the first sleepover since Josuke's revelation. So, tonight should be interesting.

"Good!"

"Nice! So, I heard about this party Yuya's having tonight, Yukako and Koichi are going, and Mikitaka, and everyone! We need to go, dude."

Josuke considered. A party would allow him to hang out with Okuyasu, but without the threat of acting on his crush, since Josuke wouldn't want to do anything in front of people. He didn't want to ruin their friendship, but he really didn't want to ruin their friendship at a party.

"Yeah, let's go! My mom will never let us, but we can sneak out."

"Hell yeah!" Okuyasu pumped his fist in the air.

"Shush! She's gonna hear us!" Josuke giggled.

"Oh, sorry! I got excited!"

"I know," Josuke laughed.

They decided to sneak out after dinner, so that Josuke's mom would be less suspicious. Usually, they just stayed in Josuke's room for the rest of the evening, so she probably wouldn't even notice they were gone.

Josuke climbed out the second-floor window and used Crazy Diamond to lower himself to the ground. Okuyasu followed him, using The Hand to simply wipe away the space between himself and the ground.

"That seemed unnecessary."

"Well, maybe, but I like using my stand." Okuyasu shrugged. "Lets go!"

They set off for Yuya's. The air was electric with possibilities. The sun was just beginning to set, painting the sky in shades of red and gold, and Okuyasu was with him, and they were sneaking out to go to a party, and life was amazing. Josuke couldn't stop grinning.

"What's up, Mr. Smiles?" Okuyasu bumped his shoulder.

"Oh, I'm just excited!" Josuke replied, his steps bouncing a little.

Okuyasu looked at him for a moment. "This party seems like something you need."

"Yeah, I think it is!" Josuke felt like he was walking on clouds. He needed a distraction. He needed anything else but stressing over having a crush on his best friend.

By the time they got to Yuya's, it was almost completely dark out, but his house was lit up by a thousand little fairy lights decorating the exterior. Colorful light pulsed from the windows, and faint bass thumped even from outside. It was the picture of a high school party.

Josuke's smile grew even bigger.

"Jeez, I didn't think you were this much of a party person!" Okuyasu laughed.

"Yeah, well, sometimes you just need it." Josuke said.

They walked in the front door. The house was full of people, laughing dancing, talking, drinking. Yukako and Koichi were in a corner, talking, but those were the only two of their friends they could spot.

Josuke turned to Okuyasu, but he was already gone.

Josuke's chest hurt, and he felt like a deflated balloon. "I need to find something to drink." He murmured to himself. He knew it was going to be a long night, one way or the other.