Keep Your Guard

♡♡♡

Agitation was a normal feeling. It wasn't a good one, but it was one Alice was used to. It was times such as this that made her appreciate the moments her life wasn't a magical, secret-filled mess. But even after searching every possible location, Marinette Dupain-Cheng was nowhere to be found.

"Where is she?" she said to herself. "It seems so easy to find her, but when it actually matters I can't see her anywhere."

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed a blue-haired girl walking towards the door, eyes on her phone. Not wasting another second, Alice stepped in front of her and blocked her path. "There you are! I've been looking for you all day."

Before Marinette could protest, Alice grabbed her hand and dragged her under the stairs where they wouldn't be noticed. "H-hey! Quit pulling so hard!" Marinette yelled.

Alice sent her a look that could kill, instantly silencing her. Every word that was about to come out got stuck in her throat.

"What is wrong with you?" she said,  much quieter. She didn't want to find out what would happen if she yelled again.

"It's Mylee," Alice started. "I think something's wrong with her. She hasn't woken up since yesterday."

Marinette stayed quiet, as if she was hesitating. At this point all of Alice's frustration had turned to worry. She knew that without Marinette, she wouldn't be able to do anything in this situation. Having no choice but to rely on her just raised her frustration through the roof. "Look, I just want to help Mylee. I don't what to do for her and I hate that." Alice cringed at her desperation, but she didn't take back her words.

Marinette still said nothing, and Alice didn't blame her. After the day before, she knew they had similarities, but they still didn't want to trust each other fully. Alice sighed. "Okay, forget about what I said before," she said quietly. "Tell me what's wrong with Mylee, and I'll keep your secret, alright?"

Marinette raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised at Alice's pleading. Finally, she sighed and took her hand. "I know someone who can help," she said, leading Alice towards the door. There wasn't a hint of lies or hatred in her voice. "Let's go."

♡▪♡▪♡

"Where are we, exactly?"

They were standing in front of a small building, that somewhat resembled a house. It had a dark wooden roof and few windows.

"We're gonna see someone who knows more about the miraculous than I ever will." Marinette turned the knob of the door and stepped into the building.  Alice raised an eyebrow, and Marinette gestured for her to follow her. Hesitantly, Alice closed the door behind her and continued to follow Marinette. 

An old man who was shorter than Marinette stepped out of a different room. He had a grey beard and a red and white haiiwain shirt.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng. Welcome." His eyes went to the girl behind her. "I see you have brought a friend," he said, eyes wide. "And you are?"

"Alice," she said coldly. As she fidgeted with the charm of her choker, she figured there was no point in hiding her suspicion.

"Something's wrong with Alice's kwami," Marinette explained. "Can you help?"

"Set your kwami on the mat, and I will see what I can do."