Trust

♡♡♡

"Go to sleep already!"

"I can't."

Alice flopped back onto her bed, going back to staring at the paper butterflies that hung on her ceiling. She'd been like this for the past couple of days. And nights. It wasn't like her to be up like this, wondering when sleep would hit. Coffee was a rare thing for her, and even when she did drink it, it never had the same "stay hyper for six hours" effect it usually had on others.

 So what did she do instead of trying to sleep? Manicures.

She had tons of small containers of gems, press-ons, and bottles filled with colors she didn't remember the names of. Sleep deprived at nearly two in the morning seemed like the perfect time.

"Something feels off," Mylee said. That's all she'd been saying for the past hour, but she didn't show any signs of wanting to do something about it. She'd created some sort of maze out of nail polish bottles and was flying around it.

"Yeah, things have been feeling pretty off lately," Alice said simply, placing the last rhinestone. Under her breath, she added, "This is why sleep is important. At least when I start hallucinating my nails won't be a mess."

Her nails were done, and she admired them with a smile. Maybe she'd just needed to keep herself busy. Maybe she was actually exhausted and just needed the effort of a manicure to finally realize it.

She went to her bay window, rested her head against one of the pillows, and closed her eyes.

She waited. And waited. And waited some more.

This isn't working.

Instead of torturing herself with something that would never come, she turned her attention to the window. Or, what was outside of it.
She blinked a few times, and looked again.

A dark figure was only slightly illuminated by the moonlight above, but just enough so that she was able to notice. The figure disappeared over the roof of one of the buildings a few streets away.

What the...

Mylee interrupted her thoughts by flying next to her. "Told you something felt off," the kwami said triumphantly.

Alice let out an annoyed sigh and pushed herself away from the window. "I hate when you're right. "

"Mhm. I vote for going to see what it is!"

"No one is voting," Alice grumbled. "I just did my nails." One look at Mylee told her the kwami wasn't going to change her mind. "Fine."

Alice stood up, reluctantly ready to go, when Mylee tugged on her pajama top. "What about Ladybug and Chat Noir?" she asked.

"Oh please. Those two are probably getting sleep like normal people. The sooner we take care of this, the sooner I can do the same." She quickly fed the snow fox a peppermint before adding, "Mylee, winter blizzard."

Once she'd transformed, Vixen made a mental note to never take her sleep for granted again.

Pushing her window open, she jumped down to her balcony and took a breath. But when she thought about it, she could take all the breaths in the world and still not be used to this. One second she was on her balcony, the next she was a block away. It would be thrilling if she wasn't so annoyed and exhausted.

Sprinting across the rooftops in the dark was a whole other story. It wasn't anything like during the day. The city was silent, the wind icy. Despite how long she'd lived in Paris, she never got tired of acknowledging how beautiful it was. Too bad she couldn't stop to admire it.