LVIII. Always Behind You

"I admit. I underestimated you, Julia." Dennis takes out a cigarette and lit it up.

I smile, "I'm happy I behave beyond your expectation." You could sense my sarcasm a mile away. I lifted the cup of cold-brewed ice tea and sipped on it.

The court case started near the end of February, and finally, it ended in May. Usually, court cases take a few days to a few weeks, but ours were out of the ordinary. I'm surprised it didn't drag out until next year.

Then again, for humans, it was a win to take Kai away from the werewolves.

And werewolves?

Well, I assume they have a lot on their plates.

Blood Moon didn't take long to prove their innocence, but the public could care less.

Blood Moon is innocent, but what about the video? Which pack does it belong to? Fake? As if. It's real all the way. That's what the public thinks. Well, at least the human does.

Maybe even other wolf packs.

This is their chance to take the strong down.

I mean, I know I would.

Dennis exhales lightly, "You got talent." He slides a card across the table, "Ever consider the FBI? We could use talents like you."

"If I'm not joining the hunter society, what makes you think I'll join the FBI?"

He smiles, "Well, we got free coffee."

"I imagine the government giving that much in trade for a lifetime of enslavement."

Dennis chuckles before he looks out the window, "I should consider retiring."

"I think you should too. Outwitted by a dropout doesn't necessarily look good on anyone resume."

Dennis shook his head. I know he doesn't take it to heart. He fought for what he had to fight for, and I did the same. There's no hard feeling.

"Call me if you change your mind." He grabbed his hat and made his way out of the cafe.

My eyes move towards the car in the front. When he got in, the person closed the door. But before he got into the driver's side, he gave me one last look.

Even though we're not enemies, he doesn't trust me. I know someone will be monitoring me until whoever is pulling all the strings is satisfied. Again, I don't blame him or them. I never gave them a reason to trust me to began with, and I have no reason to do so.

I grab the glass cup and swirl the content inside.

One more month.

When the chaos died, I got my college admission letters. I got it much later than the rest of my classmates. I'm pretty sure colleges were waiting for the case result to determine whether or not they want me at their school.

I got into all the schools I applied for.

Among those admissions, I also got invited to attend a few other elite universities.

They said they would love strong and bright young minds like my own.

Financial burdens?

No problem. We got scholarships, and we're more than happy to grant you one.

I'm pretty sure if the court case never happened, only a few of those colleges would accept me.

I did something big.

Something that will go down in history.

I exhale softly before I rest my head against the glass wall.