chapter 5

After an exhausting class, I went back to my dorm. I sat down on my bed and put on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. My annoying roommate walked in and hogged the bathroom for the next forty-five minutes. It was fine until she started to sing Rockin Around the Christmas Tree as loud as she could.
“Oh, my god, Shut Up!”, I screamed.
She sang louder. I couldn’t hear my show, so I turned it up louder.
“What in the world are you watching?!” she screamed.
“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”, I screamed back. Honestly, this girl needed to be exposed to quality entertainment, and fast. A knock at the door interrupted me. I muted the T.V. and went to open the door. It was an English professor. I heard he failed almost every student who’s taken his class. I was thankful not to have him.
“Excuse me, my students are taking a very important test and cannot focus on all the noise coming from this dorm. If you don’t stop, I’ll have to punish you both.'' he said sternly.
“I’m so sorry sir. I’ll make sure my roommate keeps it down, ''I said. He left and I went back to watching my show. Taylor came out of the bathroom, in an outfit she seemed to like.
“Where are you going?”I asked.
“I have a job interview,'' she said conceitedly.
“Whatever”, I said.
The cast list was supposed to go up in five minutes. I got out of bed and walked out of the dorm building. I made my way across campus to the theatre department. The list was on the door of the theater room. I looked next to Aaron Burr’s name. I wasn’t Burr. I remembered that the director had asked me to rap Guns and Ships, so I looked next to Laffayett’s name. I wasn’t there either. I walked towards the door when some people came over. 
“Congrats!” someone said as they walked off. I was confused.
I looked back at the list. I made my way from the bottom up. I wasn’t in the ensemble. I wasn’t King George, Charles Lee, Samuel Seabury, James Reynolds, John Adams, or King George the 3rd. I kept looking. I wasn’t Hercules Mulligan, Philip Hamilton or John Laurens. I wasn’t Angelica, Eliza, Peggy or Maria. That left me with two options. I was either George Washington or… Hamilton. I looked down next to Washington’s name and prayed mine would be there. It wasn’t. I looked at the top of the list. It read:
Hamilton Cast List
Alexander Hamilton-Nicole Miranda
Aaron Burr- Morgan Stark
John Laurens/Philip Hamilton- LaVante Smith
Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson-Kiarra Carter
Hercules Mulligan/James Madison- Steph Strange
Peggy Schyler/ Maria Reynolds- Peter Pan
Eliza Schuyler Hamilton- Melia Danvers-Rhodes*
Angelica Schyler- Taylor Grasia
George Washington-Phoebe Mannings
King George- Joe Mamma
John Adams- Dèmon Bellow
Samuel Seabury/Charles lee- Barkley Mayamba
George Eaker/James Reynolds- Linden jay
*during the wedding scene in Helpless, will be replaced by twin brother miles 
This couldn’t be happening. I’d never even auditioned for the role of Hamilton. 
“It has to be a mistake,'' I said. I had never even tried out for the part of Hamilton. I walked over to my professor's classroom.
“Professor”, I said
“Miss. Miranda, ''he said.
“Can we confer, sir,'' I asked, not even realizing I had used Hamilton lyrics.
“Is it about the musical?”he asked.
“Yes, and it has to do with me,'' I said.
“Go on”, he said.
“Why me?”I asked.
“Excuse me?”he asked.
“About half of the class auditioned for the role of Hamilton. You gave it to me, and I didn’t audition for the part, ''I said.
“I am aware of that, but I believe that is the role that is best for you,'' he said.
“Because of my father?”I asked.
“No, you’re a more experienced actor than the rest of the cast,'' he said.
“Oh,'' I said.
“Miss. Miranda.'' he said.
“Sir?”I asked.
“Close the door on your way out,'' He said.