The Heart of the Rose

In the Technodrome, Shredder is watching a news report with interest. A new dojo has opened in New York: The Dojo of the Fighting Rose. The apparent head of the dojo issues a challenge: face their Champion, the best fighter anywhere, ever (and therefore impossible to defeat), and win an incredible prize, The Heart of the Rose. The challenge is open 24/7. Shredder leaves for the dojo immediately.

At the dojo, Shredder is waiting for his turn. He doesn't have to wait long; each warrior sent up against the Champion is defeated within a few short minutes. He is quietly confident.

Finally, it's his turn. Everyone watches with interest as he steps into the arena. Ahead of him, he sees a large pair of white, feathery wings, and long, wavy blonde hair. Then the Champion turns to face him. Their eyes meet, and they stagger slightly as something hits them right in the heart. They smile shyly.

The cry of "Begin!" startles them, but they move into attack position.

"Don't hold back," the Champion says. "I cannot be harmed."

So Shredder fights more fiercely than he ever has before. The Champion has a more relaxed fighting style, being confident of remaining undefeated. Shredder uses every Ninja technique at his disposal, but cannot overthrow her. Then, not knowing what else to do, he reaches for her with both arms.

In Shredder's embrace, all the fight goes out of the Champion. Somehow, it feels right. The battle isn't yet over however, and she struggles, but to no avail. She looks into his eyes again, smiles, and says,

"You've won. The Heart of the Rose is yours."

"I don't care about that," he says, gazing at her gently.

She smiles wider and says, "I am Rose."