Chapter 34

Jimin:

As Taehyung pleaded with Y/N to forgive him, I couldn't stop the sadness that filled me.  When I had lunch with Y/N, she had accepted my offer of rekindling our friendship, but I could see that she was still hesitant about it all.  I had texted her several times, wanting to get coffee with her, wanting to take her to lunch, but each time she turned me down with a polite no and an excuse about being busy at work.  And each time that rejection came through it fucking hurt.  Hurt more than I wanted to admit.

From the way she responded to Taehyung, I was beginning to see what she was worried about.  It made me think of Januel's comment to Y/N when she first began at the company all those months ago, about Taehyung being jealous.  It also brought to mind the comment he had made to her in the elevator the day she walked out of our lives, out of my life.  I could see what she was thinking about everything and it all made perfect sense.  Taehyung had acted like the jealous boyfriend, but she didn't understand that it wasn't just possession over me, but over her as well.  When he had stepped in the elevator that day and saw Namjoon's arm around her, heard Namjoon say to not worry about her, Taehyung's territorial streak took over, wanting her to be ours and only ours.

Y/N sat there for a moment, her eyes teary as Taehyung spoke to her, begging her to come back to us, pleading with her to take her place back in our lives.  She sighed, the sound coming out tired and I knew at this point, it was going to be harder than we planned.  "Look Taehyung.  I should be the one apologizing not you.  I didn't realize how comfortable I had gotten around the two of you.  I swear to you that I am not trying to take Jimin away from you.  He was my friend and I know that is all he ever will be.  I understand that."

Her words, meant to reassure Taehyung, shattered my heart into a million pieces, like a hammer to a mirror, like a ceramic figurine pushed off a shelf, like everything falling apart at my feet as the girl I was so in love with told me I would only ever be her friend.  I couldn't stop the sharp inhale and when Y/N turned worried eyes to me, the tears spilled unstoppable down my cheeks. 

I could see the look in her eyes that she wanted to comfort me, but the fear of Taehyung's anger took over and she kept to herself.  However, regardless of what her words said, the look in her eyes was different.  It was the same look I saw in Taehyung's eyes when he looked at me, when he looked at her.  No matter what she said, I could see right now that she had feelings for us and it allowed a tiny spark of hope to build in my chest, a tiny spark that I wanted to push down, but couldn't.  A tiny flame that threatened to build. 

Y/N looked down at her phone and I could see the first genuine smile on her face since we sat down and I knew instantly it must be a message from Jin.  "I've... I've got to go.  Jin's waiting on me.  He was still asleep in my bed when I left so he really didn't know where I was going."  She stood up, picking up the coffees and the white paper bag.  "I'll... I'll see you around, okay?"  Without waiting for the chance for us to hug her goodbye, Y/N hurried out of the coffee shop, taking a piece of my heart with her.

Taehyung turned to me, his eyes filled with sorrow.  "I don't know what else to say, what else to do.  She hates me Jiminie.  Hates me."

I wrapped an arm around Taehyung, pulling him close.  "No babe.  She doesn't.  She's hurting because she believes that you thought she was trying to break us up, steal me from you.  She doesn't want to get close to us and make the same mistake that she thought she made before."

The tears spilling down Taehyung's cheeks broke my heart even further.  Knowing that he was truly devastated by this situation hurt since I knew there was nothing in could do to make it better.  "If she doesn't hate me then why won't she forgive me?  Why?   What else can I do to bring her back to us?"