Not So Lucky

Everything has fallen apart.

At first it was fine. Day to day boredom, but everyone was safe. Dream, George, and Sapnap would hangout at each other's houses. They just graduated from high school together and had so much to look forward to.

Then people started to get sick.

It was a sickness that wouldn't go away and was spreading extremely fast. It would make people act strange and violent. Even going as far as to bite others. Of course people dubbed the unknown disease as something that turned people into zombies.

At first it was just a rumor. People made memes of it and laughed about it for a day or two before it became much more of a reality. Dream didn't know much about it since it was a brand new problem. He has heard as much as any other guy. "Turns people into zombies." "Spreads fast." " Bites people." These were the only things being spoken about regarding the issue.

Frankly, everyone took it as a joke.

They shouldn't have.

These thoughts ran through Dream's mind as he and his two friends, George and Sapnap, ran into a destroyed retail store. Everything has gone to shit. One moment they chilling at Sapnap's house, playing video games, the next it felt like that were racing to live. They had heard lots of noises of cars racing around outside, mixed in with the sounds of possible gunshots farther away. They were bewildered, but after an emergency message came onto the tv, they knew they had to do something. Dream didn't quite remember exactly what the message said, all he remembered was something about the disease spreading faster than expected, and that they said to stay inside, lock the doors, and save up whatever food and water that had.

Sapnap practically said "fuck that". He spoke about how low they were on food at the moment and how he didn't have any bottled water, so that if the water got shut off they'd be screwed.

After some discussion between the three of them, they decided that the best course of action would to get cans of food and water bottles from the store before the store got raided or something. They didn't have much to go off of, but in any zombie movie out there, stores would be looted and if you didn't get there in time, anything of need would already be gone.

They were right in thinking that.

When they drove to the closest retail store, there wasn't much left. The doors were busted in, almost all of the windows had been broken. Through the cracked and broken glass, they could see several shelves had been toppled over and broken. A lot of merchandise has been thrown into the floor. There was some frantic movements of a few looters still in the store, stuffing items into bags, carrying whatever they could. George's eyes caught onto one of the windows that were busted into. There was blood coating one of the shards sticking out. A small pool of the red substance underneath it.

"Fuck!" Dream yelled out, abruptly stopping the car off to the side of the store. He hoped that if he kept it to the side and not in the front, then hopefully anyone passing wouldn't see it. He didn't know how desperate people were yet.

"If we don't hurry, there won't be anything left, IF there's anything of use left at all." Dream said, quickly getting out of the car, running to its trunk. The other two followed, eyes watchful of their surroundings.

After all, people fueled with panic would be willing to hurt whoever they needed to if they thought it would ensure their safety.

Dream shoved two backpacks into their hands. Sapnap had a navy green, old, torn up backpack of Dream's. The right strap had broken apart after years of use. He remembered that Dream had tossed it in the trunk a long time ago, intending to throw it away later on but forgetting to do so. George had been given a slightly smaller backback that was a dark maroon color. He recognized it as Dream's sister's backpack. After a quick glance behind Dream, he saw various school supplies having been dumped into the trunk, giving plenty of space inside the now empty backpack. His eyes trailed up and saw that Dream had put on his most recent backpack that he used before they had all graduated.