Chapter One

As I tap the fork on my plate, I sit and watch the rain pour outside. I was on my lunch break and then my shift be over by twelve. I am a grocery worker and I help to stalk the shelves. Making 13 an hour, I was satisfied. I don't talk as much, just mostly nodding my head or shaking it no. I can't help it. I often wrote on paper and described what I wanted to say because I don't talk like a normal person. I have a speech problem that developed after seeing my two brothers get killed.

I remembered it like it was yesterday. I just rather not speak on it. I keep that to myself a lot and I live alone. Keeping my distance from having a conversation, the only person I will try to communicate with is my manager or talking to my mother or sister.

I finished my delicious salad and I looked at the clock. 10:18pm Damn, about two hours left and the store closed at eleven. I took the extra few minutes to write down this song I was writing. I loved to sing, I attend this small cafe that allows people to sing and people actually paid me to sing, I just don't talk at all. I could sing anything that I wanted to but personally, I wrote my own.

I kept a journal, I don't call it a diary but I just write how I feel and I go to counseling sessions about the tragedy I witnessed. I had a session tomorrow morning and it was great because my night off was the same day. I kept watching the clock as the time was flying by fast. Before I knew it, break time was over.

I walked clean out and walked to the back. I grabbed the cart with the boxes in and started stocking the freezer section. People waved and I gladly waved back. My manager, Bobby spots me and walks to me.

"Michael. You are doing a stupendous job around here. I think I picked a great employee." He said.

"T-t-t-th-h-hank y-y-you s-s-sir." I said with a smile.

"Your very welcome Mike. Listen, you have been like a son to me. And I appreciate your work very much. No matter what don't ever let no one use you. You hear me?" He said as he patted my shoulder.

I nodded my head and continued working. He knew that I had a speech problem so, he understood that I had to speak as well as I could. Small talk but in the end, it be understood.

" Hey stupid!! Talk much.." One of the co-workers started to pick on me again. I disliked him, so I gave him a glare and kept it moving to another aisle. Once I get to the aisle, to grab some chips, he follows me.

"Hey come on man, talk to me." He said following behind me.

" L-l-e-e-ave m-m-me a-a-l-l-lone!" I said. He looked at me and busted out laughing up until Bobby pops up.

"Carl, dammit stop messing with him and get your ass back to work!!" He said. He walks back around the corner and I continued to work. After finishing loaded the frozen foods, I walked back to the same cart and pushed it to the bread area. I loved this area for some reason. Maybe it's because I can see the beautiful rain the flows, hitting the window, endless and soothing.

"Excuse me sir?" I turn around and I seen this weird looking man. " Can you show me where the milk is?" He asked.

" S-s-sure." I said as I motioned him to follow me. I was embarrassed and red about my speech. I showed him to the bread and the guy thanks me.

"You may need some help with that speech of yours. But thanks so much man!" He said as I sped walked back to the men's room. I locked the door and cried silently alone. As traumatizing as it was already, I felt like there was no help for me.

Everytime I wanted to fall in love with someone, they would talk about my voice and make fun of me. My father did that too much for me to handle.  At 18, I moved on my own and have been faced with so many heartbreaks I am so scared to fall in love with someone else. I shield at every girl and even though I had this speech problem, they take advantage of me and then leave me.