1

Prologue:
Three years pass by ever so fast for the underdogs. Luca and Giulia spend the school year in Genova with Giulia's mom, and each year they return to Porto Rosso for the three summer months. For the first two years, returning to Porto Rosso and the summer has remained somewhat the same, visiting family, playing games, going on adventures, and having an amazing time, but now that Luca, Alberto, and Giulia are 16, things will be a bit different. Luca and Giulia go to school all year and learn all sorts of things while Alberto stays back with Mr. Marcovaldo fishing and working. Luca is always more than excited to go back home and visit all his family and friends, but this year, he feels off about the whole thing.

"Can you believe it?" Giulia cried as she stuffed her luggage into the overhead compartment on the train. "It's summer already!" She added.

"Where did the year even go?" Luca laughed and followed Giulia. They closed the door to the small space almost bursting open with their books and bags. They sat down in the sticky train seats.

It was true, for Luca and Giulia, the year had gone by faster than they could ever imagine. They spent the year learning as usual, trying out jobs in town, and doing what all the kids in Genova.

"So, are you excited to be going home?" Giulia asked as she took her seat, making room for Luca. "I sure am!" She added.

"Yeah, i guess" Luca looked away from her and faced the train window.

"That didn't sound very true" She turned to look Luca in the eyes.

"I'm nervous" Luca said, sheepishly.

"Why? We do this every summer! It won't be any different?" Giulia looked concerned. She furrowed her brows and crossed her hands in her lap.

"Yeah, i think it will be"

"Why? Nothing has changed!"

"Yes, something has changed, Giulia" Luca looked away again.

"Well then what is it? You know you can tell me anything" She reassured him.

"I think i have these feelings..." Luca whispered.

"Go on!"

"For Alberto. Like different feelings" This made Giulia's eyes light up in a strange way. A grin started to form on her face.

"What?" Luca cried out, blushing.

"You like Alberto?" She questioned, examining Lucas reaction. The apples of his cheeks grew bright red, so bright he could feel them burning.

"You do!" She laughed. "I knew it!"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Yes, it has been for years, what took you so long to realize?" Giulia laughed.

"I guess i was nervous that i was weird, or not supposed to feel this way, but after i saw those two boys in our history class be in a relationship i guess i sort-of realized that I'm not alone" Luca smiled sheepishly.

"Aw! Luca!" Giulia punched his arm lightly. "That is the sweetest thing i have ever heard; when are you going to tell him?"

"What?" Luca froze.

"When are you going to confess your love to Alberto?!" She mocked.

"I'm- I'm not?"

"Oh don't be silly, Luca! It'll either be me, or you!" She tore open her chip bag.

"I'm not too sure about that" Luca reached into the bag for a greasy, salty potato chip.

"I am" Giulia nodded.