Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

Ryker 

It’s a cave. 

Well, not so much a cave as an underground society. We’re standing on a platform elevated about six feet in the air, and all around us are blinking lights and beeping machines. Everything is whirring and winking and hissing out noise, and I feel like I’ve been dropped in the middle of some inhuman conversation. 

“Jump down,” the agent holding my arms commands. He cuts the rope tying my hands together and pushes me to the ledge of the platform. I hesitate for a moment, but I know that my little sister is being held behind me, completely helpless. If I don’t jump, what will happen to Fenn? I slip over the side of the platform and let my legs dangle, then let go and drop to the ground with a steely thud. The two agents follow me, and then Fenn jumps and I catch her. The moment we’re on the ground we’re taken ahold of again. 

“This way.” 

These guys are the champions of the silent treatment. We’re lead though a maze of tunnels and turns, all of which are covered in the same shiny grey steel. I can feel how cold the walls are without even touching them, and my face stares back at me from every surface. Long, oval and stretched out almost comically.  Fenn’s wide eyes look especially alien-like down here.