27. failures

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

FAILURES.

Her head hurt - Angeline knew that much. It was dark and her limbs were stiff, her muscles and joints aching from where she was tied against a chair. The ropes pressed against her ankles and wrists painfully, and there was even one tied around her torso. However, she couldn't actually see the ropes, just feel them. There was something over her head that made breathing somewhat difficult and blocked everything but darkness out.

She didn't want to call out to anybody. The idea was terrifying; asking somebody to come over and kill her off sooner. Her heart was pounding out of her chest as panicked tears filled her eyes for a few moments. Since finding out that Williams was also after her, Angeline had always thought she would rather just be captured by her father instead.

For she knew she was about to be tortured. They expected her to give up the codes, but Angeline would refuse. She was stubborn like that. She just hoped that even when she was on the ground, her life seeping away from her, she'd be able to keep up her attitude. If they broke her, she'd be responsible for so many deaths. She'd have blood on her hands. And then they'd probably still kill her anyway.

Suddenly, without warning, cold water was chucked over her head. Angeline gasped in fright, the bag around her instantly becoming soaked with water that filled her mouth and choked her. Another load of water was chucked over before she could breathe again, her heart hammering as she withered and panicked, trying to get out of the chair whilst drowning. Angeline didn't know if they stopped after three or four, but just as she thought she was about to pass out, the bag was ripped off of her head.

Angeline coughed, water dripping down her as she tried to regain her breath, but her lungs were on fire. She didn't know if she was crying because she was scared or if her eyes were watering from being repeatedly waterboarded, but either way, she tried to stop. She didn't want them to think of her as weak. It would make it so much easier for them.

"Morning, Angeline," a very familiar voice purred, her heart stopping when she saw Darcy standing in front of her, smirking with another bucket of water in her face.

As soon as Angeline's eyes met hers, Darcy hauled the final bucket of water over Angeline. Thankfully, the cloth around her head was gone so she wasn't choking, but it still felt rather humiliating and freezing on her trembling skin. Angeline managed a glare, her fists bunching up behind her back.

"You know, had you not been such a curious little cat, you wouldn't be here right now," Darcy feigned sympathy with an over exaggerated pout. "I'd told my father the night of your birthday party that you knew nothing. Imagine my surprise finding out twenty four hours later that you were on the run with Mitch Rapp from your own father. You just couldn't keep your big nose out of it, could you?"

"You drugged me and you lied to me," Angeline spat, "For what? Some stupid codes? What the fuck are you doing this for? Teenage girls are supposed to be hanging out with their friends and focusing on school, not trying to blow up cities around the world!"

Darcy chuckled, leaning forwards so her face was closer to Angeline's. "Good thing I'm not a teenage girl, then," she murmured, "But I must say, it was definitely entertaining pretending to be one again. I had fun with you and your friends -- too bad everything had to end so quickly."

Angeline swallowed thickly, looking past Darcy for a moment and seeing that there were two men with huge guns by the door. Even if she somehow managed to get out of the chair, there was no way that she would be able to get past them. Darcy grabbed her jaw roughly and steered her face back up so they were making eye contact.