Bonus chapter: Meeting the parents

Chaeyoung should've seen this coming. She should've been more prudent.

It was only a matter of time before her parents found out she was dating, and yet, she was naive enough to think she could stall the topic. She didn't intend to hide it from them forever, she was just hoping it would happen later in life, at least until she was independent from them, geographically and financially. That way, if things turn sour, they won't hold anything against her, and she'll have somewhere to run to. That's not to say her parents are conservative pricks, no, absolutely not. They're just..a tad bit old fashioned in their thinking and it's always a hassle to reason with them, and dating is one of the particular subjects that they don't take lightly, so how did she exactly let this happen?

It was a warm Tuesday afternoon, and Chaeyoung was back home in Seoul for spring break. She was laying on the couch after they just had lunch, reading a book, when she heard her phone ding with a notification somewhere in the living room, but she paid it no mind, until her mom's voice came in.

"Chaeyoung-ah."

"Hm?"

"Who's this Jungkookie and why is he asking you to come to his place?"

Chaeyoung's entire body stiffened, her book falling from her hands. "He's uh a friend." but her mother wasn't impressed.

"Do you put hearts in front of your friends' contact names?"

"uh, yes?"

Another notification. Her mom stared at her phone and her expression hardened.

"He calls you baby."

Busted.

So here she is now, squirming in her seat uncomfortably, with her parents sitting across from her, their faces the epitome of disapproval.

"How long?" her mom does not beat around the bush.

Chaeyoung tries to keep her cool but fails. "Two years." she pauses. "And four months."

Her mother raises her brows in shock while her father huffs loudly. "Unbelievable." he mutters as he shakes his head. "We sent her to university to study, and all this time she was playing around with a boy!"

Chaeyoung pretends it doesn't sting to hear that. She takes a deep breath. "I'm doing my best at Uni and I'm getting good grades. I'm not playing around."

Her father scowls. "Dating is only gonna distract you from your studies."

"It didn't and it won't." She retorts.

Her mother steps in, her mouth twisted in a frown. "So, you're serious about this boy."

Her answer comes automatically. "Yes."

"What's his name? How old is he? What does he do? Is he serious about you?"

"His name is Jungkook, he's the same age as me and he works as a game developer. And yes, he is serious about me too." She mutters the last part hesitantly and hopes her parents don't notice.

"A gamer!" her dad exclaims in disbelief and Chaeyoung doesn't bother correcting him. "You couldn't even find someone with a respectable job!"

Chaeyoung holds herself back from talking back, her hands curling into fists against her lap.

Her mother doesn't say anything for a while, her face a blank sheet, and Chaeyoung could tell that she's lost deep in thought. After a minute however, her mother clasps her hands together and looks pointedly at her. "If it's that serious then I think we should meet him."