chapter 1

It was a chilly august morning, the 21st of august to be exact and I can easily say that it was the day my whole family's lives changed.. but mostly mine.

my mum was pregnant with.. well I dont know. No one knew because it was too hard to tell on all of her ultrasounds what gender the baby was, alot of kids would be excited to have a new sibling arrive into their lives. For me, it was going to be the first time I got a sibling but i wasn't very excited. My mum was having this baby with another guy, not my dad because they split before I was born and my mum hasn't seen him since. I guess that doesn't really make me upset either because I grew up with it like that. My stepdad and mum met when I was 7 and got married when I was 9. Now I'm 15 and as I said I'm now expecting my first sibling.

I find myself weird sometimes because I get upset over stupid little things and then something I should be upset about comes up and I'm not really effected by it. I spend most of my time in my room, disconnected from my family because my mum spends time with my stepdad and alot of the time reading baby books or experimenting with new recipes that help you with your pregnancy, I'm pretty sure she didn't use baby books and go crazy over making sure her baby was healthy and as smart as a 10 year old with her pregnancy with me. I'm not into that stuff anyways, so i'm not too upset over the fact that my mum didn't use any of it with me.

On the 19th of August my mum started getting contractions and my stepdad bouught her into the hospital, everyone thought that she was about to have the baby but the doctor soon worked out that something wasn't right, there wasn't a name for what was wrong with her but we were told the pregnancy wasn't going to go smoothly. The doctor asked to speak with my stepdad privately so I went up to the hospital rooms window and looked through it at my mum. She looked so sick and lifeless, laying there asleep. I just looked through the window at my mum for who knows how long and she slowly started waking up. I kept looking and she turned around seeing me through the window, a small smile pulled across her face and she mouthed to me "I love you" a tear came to my eye and I mouthed back, "I love you too" we smiled at eachother and within 5 seconds she had drifted off to sleep again. I turned around to see if the doctor and my stepdad had finished talking, I then realised they hadn't and I was eager to hear what they were saying so I stood at the corner of the hallway and listened to their soft but still understandable voices. I heard the doctor mumble "I'm sorry, but it's not looking good. Theres 97% chance that she won't make it through the birth."

I blacked out after that and my head started spinning, footsteps were coming so I had to quickly shuffle to the seat across from my mum's room and make it look like I wasn't eavesdropping. Sometimes you think it would fix everything if you found out more, but its hard because once you know something, you can't un-know it.

my stepdad came and sat in the seat next to me and we just stared at absulutely nothing, we were both speechless and didn't know what to do with ourselfs, for the first time.. something big has happened and I'm extremely upset about it. To the point where I have that feeling you get when you need to cry but you can't and your mouth quivers and you get that pain in your throat and you can't help it anymore! the tears start flowing and you just can't breath. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up and my stepdad was looking down at me with the same distressed look on his face, "Its going to be alright adelaide. Your mum is a very stong woman"

-

thanks for reading guys! I'll definately update as soon as I can. Please vote/comment/follow! love you all

-kiralee xx