Chapter 1:

Laying in the back of the van, I watched in boredom as Skye typed away on her laptop. Meanwhile, I was busy playing with an opened bottle of water that sat just beside her. Lifting my hand, I focused on the water, lifting it so it rose out of the bottle. I smile, seeing how I can control my powers better than I used to. Slowly making the water fly around the van, I stop it just above Skye.

"Skye, look. I can hold it for much longer now," I say excitedly. I continue to focus on the floating blob of water, making the water into different shapes, a heart, flower, and duck.

"Hold on a sec. I think we might have a lead on Project Centipede." Skye tells me. Skye was a member of the Rising Tide. A secret society that worked to reveal government secrets that are kept from the public. Project Centipede was a big topic within the Rising Tide at the moment. Anyone able was working to try to figure out more on the project.

While I respected the work of the Rising Tide, I also respected the work of a secret government agency that most people don't even know exists. SHIELD. SHIELD was the one responsible for hiding and cleaning up all the messes made by the superheroes of our world. Those heroes are the Avengers.

I envision the Avengers in my mind. I squint my eyes, forcing the water to take the shape of the Avengers. I can't hold back the small smile that crawls onto my face. I dreamed of becoming an Avenger one day. Using my powers to help save people. To save the world. Sadly, that dream would never come true. Because people like me, people with gifts, were found by SHIELD, locked away, and never seen again. That is why I can never use my powers outside of this van. I can't risk getting taken from Skye. She was the only family I had.

A slight fear of being discovered ran through me. I unintentionally clench my hands, making the water turn to ice. The block of ice then falls, just barely missing Skye's head. It was about to crash onto her laptop, but I reached my hand out, flinging the ice away, and making it collide with the van door.

"What the hell!" Skye yelled out, jumping in her seat.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't being careful enough." I apologize. "I'm just bored. I've already finished that coding textbook you got from that college kid." I explain, motioning to the textbook that sat in the corner of the van.

Skye had bought it from a college kid she met in a bar. She wanted me to get better at coding to start taking part in Rising Tide matters, just like her. Luckily, I was always a very smart kid. 'Gifted' was the word my past school teachers had used. I could always learn fast, so the textbook didn't take me long to read through, including answering all of the problems in the book.

"Jeez, kid. I just got you that 2 weeks ago." She mutters, before turning back to her computer. I sighed, knowing that she was busy. Project Centipede was something big, and the Rising Tide needed all the help they could get to figure out what it was.

"You said you might have a lead? We should go check it out." I beg Skye. I was tired of being stuck inside the van. There wasn't much for me to do besides practice my coding, which I wasn't even a big fan of. Or I could practice using my powers, but it was sometimes risky.

"Fine," Skye says, giving me a small smile.

"Let's go. There's word of a lab a few blocks up that may have something to do with Project Centipede." Skye tells me as we both slip on our shoes. I can't help the huge smile that spreads across my face. Seeing this, Skye smiled as well, before leading me where we needed to go.