Chapter 19

There was a tense silence inside the limousine for a few moments. Kirsty was feeling miserable. She wanted to resolve things with Derek, but she did not know where to begin. She had to tell him about the baby; he deserved to know. But she could not find the courage to tell him.

"You know," Derek began contemplatively,"I feel like an actor who has entered the stage during the second act. I have a feeling that there is something going on with you that I don't know about."

Kirsty looked at him. He seemed puzzled and she did not blame him.

"You're right," she replied, looking downward.

Derek waited for her to elaborate.

"Are you going to tell me?" Derek asked. "I'm listening."

Now was the time. His attention was focused on her in a neutral manner. All she wanted was to feel his arms around her. She felt she needed his protection from the harm which had already befallen her.

Kirsty got up from her seat and moved over to sit beside Derek. He looked at her expectantly.

"Derek," she said softly, "I was in a car accident last month." She told him about the head-on collision and how her car was totalled. She couldn't say any more without crying.

Derek's reaction was a total surprise.

"What?!?! Oh my gosh, it's a miracle you weren't killed."

Kirsty sniffed and nodded, feeling the familiar tears on her cheeks.

"Why didn't Maggie call me?" Derek asked angrily.

"I asked her not to," Kirsty replied, her voice wavering. "I didn't want to....bother you."

"Bother me?! Kirsty, that's the kind of stuff friends need to know! Don't keep secrets from me anymore, okay?"

That just made her cry harder. The worst secret was yet to come.

Derek opened his arms toward her. She clung to him gratefully, crying quietly into his shoulder. Derek rubbed her back and murmured to her. She never wanted him to let go of her.

When the car stopped at Thurston, she reluctantly pulled herself away from him.

"I'm sorry if I ruined your evening," she said, wiping her eyes.

"You didn't," Derek replied, his eyes soft. "You must still be recuperating. I had no idea. But I'll always give you a shoulder to cry on."

Kirsty felt as though he was killing her with kindness. She forced herself to smile at him in gratitude as he led her into the house.

"Do you want something to eat or drink?" Derek asked, his voice full of concern.

"No, thanks," she answered. "I think I'll just go to bed."

"I'm sorry if I was impatient with you tonight. You look like you could use some rest," Derek said, noting her pale skin. "Your room is all ready. You know which one."

Kirsty nodded and kissed him lingeringly on the cheek.

"Good night," she said, as he kissed her on her cheek.

"Goodnight," he answered softly. "I'll see you in the morning."

Kirsty smiled at him and went upstairs to her room. Her room. How easy it was to fall back into old patterns of behaviour. It was like she had never left. But she had. And she had been a fool to come back, even for one night.

She took her nightgown out of her overnight bag and got changed. She went into the bathroom and washed all of her makeup off her face. She could not believe how terrible she looked without it.